Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I'm new here - just bought my "new" 05 speed triple recently. only done basic maintenance on it so far and it's been a nice ride. that all changed today when i crashed it (driving reasonably; i'm okay - yay!). no crash bars or sliders so the left side alternator cover got chewed up pretty bad and started slowly leaking oil. i rode home (20mi) and it functioned fine besides a slippery shift lever. the oil light didn't come on and i drained it when i got home and it was full. so I have a couple of questions:
  1. what's a good source for a replacement stator cover and gasket?
  2. how to clean all the oil off the back of the bike? can i spray with some dish soap and water then rinse? i have degreaser but I'm reluctant to spray that all over everything
  3. I didn't check the battery charge, but is possible the stator itself was damaged?
Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Jbalint, Pleased you are ok. There’s a company in the UK calling Triumphant. Might be worth a look. Or eBay of course.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Degreaser should work fine without damaging anything. It might be worth a shot to have the cover repaired by a welder with a tig, you can file any lumps back, bondo it and give it a lick of paint.

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
781 Posts
That sucks but good to hear you're ok and were able to get home :)

If you can't get it repaired as Little Miss Murder suggested, I'd check ebay for a replacement stator cover. Be careful as there are several types of cover, not all of which will fit your bike. Look for one that's identical (part number T1260566), paying particular attention to the hump on the top where the stator lead comes out, any with 2 humps will not fit properly.

+1 for degreaser, just keep it off the chain and tyre if you can.

The stator may have been damaged but hard to tell, you can have a look at it when you take off the stator cover. You can also check it electrically with a multimeter, use the charging diagnostics sticky for a guide on how to check the stator continuity etc.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sorry to hear the grim intro to speedy glad you're not injured. I'd take the stator cover off to decide about replacement. That side has less oil supply than the clutch. If the damage is typical - around the center of the cover - and the sealing edges are unhurt I'd consider a weld or epoxy putty depending on the size of the hole. Hermy's in PA will send you a new gasket for under $20. As for the stator while damage seems unlikely if the cover is only slightly perforated, it is tight quarters in there and any movement of the cover or metal protruding inside would rip the stator up. Once you remove the cover post some pictures and run the basic ground test in the charging sticky. If it passes that and you see 13.5vDC+ at the battery at idle the stator escaped damage. If you happen to be in/near NYC happy to help test. Congrats on the best year for the 1050 👊 :cool:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replies, very helpful. i got a pic and i'm a bit worried about that gouge. the cover doesnt look misshapen at all on the inside but i dont see any other way it would be rubbing against the flywheel

i'll check the resistance on the stator but will need to put oil in the bike before i test if it's putting out the correct voltage

Attachments

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
206 Posts
I've fixed a dented and cracked cover in the past with metal epoxy, but the damage was not close to a mounting bolt. The crack around the bolt looks like it will need welding or you run the possibility of the gasket not sealing. I guess it depends on how far away the next bolts are to give it support.

If you are worried that the rotor might be too close to the gouge, a few minutes with a grinding burr on a dremel tool will take the metal back a bit to give clearance.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is a NASTY bit of damage. You have two major cracks plus it's clearly been pushed inwards. It will take a pro with a perfectly flat setup to fix it without warping the casting. I'm all for DIY fixes, but this would have me hitting ebay or a dealership.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
FWIW I agree with @Little Miss Murder , not worth the risk and its likely the cost of welding and machining the face and then cosmetic repair would be more than a second-hand cover anyway.

Reactions: Little Miss Murder

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've been giving it some thought and I think it can be done without machining, but it will take mucho effort.

I'd take a piece of, say, 10mm steel plate, trace the bolt pattern, drill and tap, and then lap it on a sheet of plateglass (or a surface plate if you can find one). You could then bolt the cover to the plate, chew out the cracks with a bit and weld. It should work without warping or the need to get the surface machined, but really I'd be worried about the stator being out-of-square with the rotor axis. I don't know too much about these kinds of things, but it might create some sort of eddy current that the rectifier can't deal with - and that's assuming the bushing (or is it a bearing) lasts.

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
781 Posts
Nope, that's the cover for a 2nd gen 955 bike with the oil breather on the stator cover. If you look at the picture on the site it shows the 955 engine covers which are identifiable by the three bolt cover thingy on the clutch cover. I don't know why they're listing that cover for an 05 Speed Triple.

As Little Miss Murder and CafRacer said, if the stator has been pushed out of square then the damaged cover is more work to repair than is worth it, bin and replace.

They're quite expensive new for what they are, cheaper to go second hand. Even if you get one that's been rashed but not cracked/holed you could clean it up and repaint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts