Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the worst happened. Slammed into the back of someone on pch. Broke my wrist and bent my front wheel. Both of those are repairable but I just noticed something that’s giving me real concern. The neck is cracked near the top bearing race. Can this be fixed ?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to hear you will be fixed, Im not so sure about that neck being repaired. Unless a new one gets welded on???

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
That's a real bummer right there! I'm thinking you should also have the frame checked for straightness. You must have hit that vehicle in front of you pretty hard!.....Glad you're ok. Bet you were looking at the beautiful scenery.?? That Pacific Coast Hwy can be real pretty in some locations. Hope you get her fixed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a wreck broken like that. Replaced the frame with one from Pinwall. Cheap and easy, chance to look over each part as you work on it.
Mike

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Well youngin (been a reading some of your earlier posts) with a broken wrist you may be down a for a bit. Take care of the break or you WILL have problems for life (personal experience)

Your frame? ANYTHING is repairable just go find a Certified Welder that likes Scooters. Shouldn't cost more than an arm & a leg. Now ifin it were me I would go looking for a new/used frame section. Sounds like you have a 60 motor in a 72 500 frame. Front frame section for a 500 from 1969 - 1974 carry the same part number 83-0034. In other words they are all the same. Just swap your parts over. You built it once you can do it again.

Check with whoever you get the frame for a front wheel. Will probably be less money than having yours rebuilt. With as hard a whack as you took also check out the fork tubes and tripple tree for straightness.

Last item the worst did not happen. If it had you would not still be posting here. Suggest you take a Rider Class next time you may not be so lucky. Seen a lot of guys crash over the years. Know one guy who pushed a late 60s Buick 16/17 feet when he hit it with his Yamaha in 68. As he went airborne put a dent in the bikes tank the size of a fist. He told me later he had to sit down to pee from then on. Just something to think about....

K

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That can be fixed if the frame isn't tweaked, it's probably not.The forks are also bent? .The chrome is cracked on the upper yoke, maybe some stresses there...I could fix it if it was my bike. ...To have it done may cost more than a used frame...The replacement frame problem is always the number on the frame that is used for registration/title.....
Should be easy to find a independent Harley shop in your area that does custom work, frame neck repairs and replacements are often done by the custom guys..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well youngin (been a reading some of your earlier posts) with a broken wrist you may be down a for a bit. Take care of the break or you WILL have problems for life (personal experience)

Your frame? ANYTHING is repairable just go find a Certified Welder that likes Scooters. Shouldn't cost more than an arm & a leg. Now ifin it were me I would go looking for a new/used frame section. Sounds like you have a 60 motor in a 72 500 frame. Front frame section for a 500 from 1969 - 1974 carry the same part number 83-0034. In other words they are all the same. Just swap your parts over. You built it once you can do it again.

Check with whoever you get the frame for a front wheel. Will probably be less money than having yours rebuilt. With as hard a whack as you took also check out the fork tubes and tripple tree for straightness.

Last item the worst did not happen. If it had you would not still be posting here. Suggest you take a Rider Class next time you may not be so lucky. Seen a lot of guys crash over the years. Know one guy who pushed a late 60s Buick 16/17 feet when he hit it with his Yamaha in 68. As he went airborne put a dent in the bikes tank the size of a fist. He told me later he had to sit down to pee from then on. Just something to think about....

K
Thank you so much for your response. Takin it slow. found someone willing to do the repair while I chill with my wrist. You the man

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That can be fixed if the frame isn't tweaked, it's probably not.The forks are also bent? .The chrome is cracked on the upper yoke, maybe some stresses there...I could fix it if it was my bike. ...To have it done may cost more than a used frame...The replacement frame problem is always the number on the frame that is used for registration/title.....
Should be easy to find a independent Harley shop in your area that does custom work, frame neck repairs and replacements are often done by the custom guys..
you guys are restoring my hope thank you. Gonna go over the rest of the parts with a fine tooth comb

·
Registered
69 Posts
That looks fixable. If the guy wants to. In the US that s the hardest part. Was looking for a plumber i was reading reviews, the most common complaint, i found is plumbers coming taking a look and never getting back to the customer. Basically they dont feel like it’s worth time...i think that’s the main hurdle in rich countries. If you were in Africa they ll surgically fix anything. In the US, like someone suggested, just have to find someone who is interested.

I was once restoring a 1973 bike, the tank was leaking, went to a regular auto body shop, guy from Tobaggo & Trinidad fixes federal gov cars among others, he was happy to do it for free. I went home it started leaking again from different spot, i kept going back and forth like 5 times. Everytime a hole is fixed pressure causes another area to open. He did it all for free. I was super happy cause i couldnt find the tank, or ones i found on ebay for $200 were worse than mine. Anyway i went to trader joes got him a nice pack of craft beer ( The Corruption for beer fans ) and a nice strawberry pie.
You re in Cali you should be able to get it done.
I hope you recover well.
Dont go hard on yourself for this accident, you needed it. It will change you forever. It’s good thing you had limited injuries. You ll be a better rider. Had a similar accident about 18 years. I never rode the same way again. It was a reality check. I couldnt believe how fast things come at you and how fast they happen. I always thought I was clever. It happened so fast it made me realize what i was up against and not to understimate the circumstances.
Ride on and be safe!

·
Registered
69 Posts
just sent him an email with the photos thanks! i also spoke to hayden roberts who is willing to do the fix but hes 130 miles away.
Can you just ship the frame?
I have a friend who s a dakar fan, he shipped his frame to germany to HPE a famous small dakar prep shop because they re going to close in the coming year. He did pay $600 though ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks fixable. If the guy wants to. In the US that s the hardest part. Was looking for a plumber i was reading reviews, the most common complaint, i found is plumbers coming taking a look and never getting back to the customer. Basically they dont feel like it’s worth time...i think that’s the main hurdle in rich countries. If you were in Africa they ll surgically fix anything. In the US, like someone suggested, just have to find someone who is interested.

I was once restoring a 1973 bike, the tank was leaking, went to a regular auto body shop, guy from Tobaggo & Trinidad fixes federal gov cars among others, he was happy to do it for free. I went home it started leaking again from different spot, i kept going back and forth like 5 times. Everytime a hole is fixed pressure causes another area to open. He did it all for free. I was super happy cause i couldnt find the tank, or ones i found on ebay for $200 were worse than mine. Anyway i went to trader joes got him a nice pack or craft beer ( The Corruption for beer fans ) and a nice strawberry pie.
You re in Cali you should be able to get it done.
I hope you recover well.
Dont go hard on yourself for this accident, you needed it. It will change you forever. It’s good thing you had limited injuries. You ll be a better rider. Had a similar accident about 18 years. I never rode the same way again. It was a reality check. I couldnt believe how fast things come at you and how fast they happen. I always thought I was clever. It happened so fast it made me realize what i was up against and not to understimate the circumstances.
Ride on and be safe!
I understand that! I hit up one triumph builder and he said it’s finished but another one says he can do the repair! I guess it just depends on the person. Thanks for the write up, appreciate it

·
Registered
573 Posts
From the 20 years or so I lived in California, this probably isn't as much of an issue as you might fear. At least in LA, there was no actual inspection when transferring a vehicle from one owner to another, you just brought in the signed paperwork. When I imported bikes from outside the state (did it several times), there was a mandatory inspection, at which time the DMV verified both the engine and frame number. And yes, I actually had to take the carbs off one bike so the inspector could see the number. I never had anyone look ever again. You can probably just repair the bike, knowing there is an irregularity that will probably never actually be an issue.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts