Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I struggled whether to post anything regarding this, but now that my ego is recovering I figured I'd share.

Crazy traffic all over Philly Friday afternoon. Lines everywhere, cars positioning, darting, etc.

I made a maneuver to get around a car blocking an entire lane, another car has the same idea from the other side of the car and I collided with his side, going down. Speed was pretty slow and I just suffered a bumped knee. I'm MTGATT,(jeans).

Bonnie when down landing on the left side. Contact with the pannier, bar end mirror, and of course the shifter.

Got the bike up, and found that it won't shift into gear at all. While the shift lever is bent, it seems to move full range of motion, just won't go into any gear, stuck in neutral.

John at Triumph Philadelphia came and retrieve Bonnie real quick and got her back to the dealer, and now I wait.

The main thing I suppose I wanted to share is how delicate the shifter is on these bikes. The shift selector shaft is sacrificial and will fail easily by design so as not to allow the tranny getting trashed.

In this case, I wonder, though if is bent as it rotates freely. I'm thinking clips or springs inside might have become dislodged.

Well soon enough I'll know and I'm happy to share...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thing is mate, you're still above ground and breathing, and it sounds fixable. Hope you gert it sorted without too big an assault on your wallet. :smile2:

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,543 Posts
The bike can be fixed, it could have been worse. Luckily you just walked away with a bruised knee.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,097 Posts
Omg!!! Listen... If your bike just fell off the kick-stand, the bar-end mirror, pannier, and gear lever would likely have been compromised, right? I'm pleased to hear you don't have a slightly bent handlebar, or scraped engine cover, or foot-peg, or fork, and dent in the tank!

Those things are all simple bolt-on parts! (I bet your actual gear internals are fine.) All the things you mentioned are somewhat inexpensive as well! (Except maybe the one pannier, but at least you can buy them individually, right?)

I know you don't want to hear/read this next part... But just imagine how pissed you would be if you broke a body part... You would feel it for the rest of your life... Or even worse, just bumped you're head or neck the right way, and not even be around anymore to stress about 3 easily replaceable bolt-on parts!... I'm glad your ok, and hope to hear back from you that the dealer just had to install a new gear lever.

(I'm in love with my new bike (figuratively... It's not a she), so I know how sick you probably are over yours, because I know how I would be... Bright side... Replace the three parts... What crash?)

Best of luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad you're ok! And the bike will be fine, just the waiting game of getting it repaired.

I had to stare at my crumpled Speedmaster for 2wks before insurance decided it was a lost cause and totaled it. Still waiting on all of that to settle so I can go out and pick up my T120 Black. My crash was on May 2nd of this year, can't believe how slow the process of totaling it and paying off the loan is going!

I'll be curious to hear the report of the repair. Godspeed to ya, and again I'm glad you are ok!

Reactions: gabbydad

·
Registered
342 Posts
Agree with above. I snapped a tendon in my dominant hand Feb. 3 by slipping in the shower. Here it is five months later and my hand is still not normal. That from just slipping in the shower.

You're very lucky gabby. Bikes can be replaced. Human parts, not so much.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bonneville T120, Red/Silver
1,306 Posts
Sorry to hear. I know how frustrating these mishaps are. One minute you're cruising along loving life, and then suddenly boom you're out of commission wondering what happened.

I'm sure you'll be able to fix it. Hopefully insurance will help soften the financial pain. But on the bright side - I think you're the first (reported) crash of the new bikes! Congratulations, you're famous! ;-)

Anyway, my condolences and please keep us updated on the repair process and timing. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

-Dan

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm so glad you are ok. You might look into some riding jeans with armor in the knees so you can go ATGATT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If i had not been wearing AGV pants in my accident my leg would be gone. I'm trying to get my son to buy some riding jeans at least. your legs are nearly the most common injury site. I will never ride in jeans again but I understand how many people choose to not wear gear. I did for years before getting proper shoes and pants 6 months before my crash.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm so glad you are ok. You might look into some riding jeans with armor in the knees so you can go ATGATT.
I ATGATT on planned rides, but for work, I've cut corners. I'm thinking an over-pant would be a better work solution for me.

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Believe me, A lot of guys would love to be in your shoes. Any motorcycle accident you can walk away from is a good one.

Last November I got rear-ended on my Street Triple when I slowed down to make a left. The idiot was probably looking at his phone and sent me flying over the handlebars. I landed on my ass and bruised the hell out of my tailbone. I also hit my arm, shoulder, and finally my head. Since I was geared up, I didn't lose any skin, and no lasting injuries. I did miss a week of work, and about six weeks of the gym. My bike had a bunch of damage, and I'm really surprised the insurance company didn't total it. By the time it was done, his company shelled out $8500 in repairs. The dealer did a fantastic job, and the bike looks and feels brand new.

My injury settlement, allowed me to pay off the Street Triple, and put a nice down payment on my new T-120.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You walked away brother......that is all that matters.

Post some pics of the damage....and then post after she's repaired. Itll make you feel better!

Thanks for having the courage to share.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad to hear your ok Bill. Had a close call on the weekend because of negligent drivers. It can happen to anyone so don't feel too bad. Hope you and the bike are back on the road soon.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I ATGATT on planned rides, but for work, I've cut corners. I'm thinking an over-pant would be a better work solution for me.
Or maybe put the work pants in a small back pack.

Glad you're OK!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just bought my son some AGV denim kevlar lined pants with removable knee pads for only 109.00 today. Now he will be head to toe covered on his R6.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Happy to hear that you are ok, so often car meets bike ends up worse. Bikes can be repaired and replaced, body parts never mend as good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 64 Posts