Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a set of crash bars on my Tiger, pleased I fitted them too as I fell off the thing 3 days after I put them on!:(

I would say I prefer bars to bungs as you can't fit spotlights or highway pegs to bungs. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi outrunner

high way pegs are they the flip down pegs i've seen a couple of guys in france with there legs out straight one was on a ktm adventure the other was on a b.m.w they past me going the other way last weekend in st malo

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes they are fold down pillion pegs fitted to the cross brace on the bars. As I remember they came off a small Yamaha bike, cheap as chips brand new. I do not use them all the time, just handy to give the legs a stretch now and then and much safer than having your feet dangling near the road surface. :D

Andy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I fitted bars (SW-Motech). Quite a few have dropped/slid their bikes and the bars have saved them from a lot of damage. Don't know much about the "bung" type, but I don't believe they would be as effective.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Crah bars get my vote. Not tested them yet :eek:

Yes they also have spot lights fitted and I am looking at mounting running lights (LED).

They are Touratech and look vey robust, without being obtrusive IMHO.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi GBD,

I looked at lot's of different crash bars and it came down to two choices - Touratech or Thunderbike.

If you want the bars to just do the job of protecting the bike, then the Thunderbike ones are the best, as they stick out that far !

If you want a set of bars to do their job and look great on the bike, then go for the Touratech. They complement the shape of the Tiger really well with their curved lines.

As for crash bobbins - not a great fan, to be honest.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have fitted the Touratech bars and fitted a set of clamp on pegs onto the crash bars.

The set up is great, I let the bike topple when I lost my balance, bars did a 100% job.

The pegs are great for long motorway journeys to change your feet position.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts
I guess I'm the lone voice in the wilderness here, but my nod goes to crash bungs. Why? because they've saved me big $$ on EVERY motorcycle I've owned over the past 2 decades. The R&G crash protectors are particularly good for the 955i Tiger as they are very robust and allow adequate clearance from the tank. As I do mostly street riding (with the odd gravel/dirt road), I am confident these bungs are as effective as any crash bar and they weigh MUCH MUCH less. If you are doing alot of dirt, then crashbars would likely offer better protection.

While "bungs" can fail, so can crash bars... do some research and you'll find cases of bars bending in falls or creating excess vibration in the pegs/handlebars/seat, etc. The KLR forums, for example, have numerous documented cases of this. I had a pair of SW-Motech crash bars on my KLR650 (the only time I bought crashbars), and while I never dropped the bike to test them, I found a noticeable increase in pesky vibrations with the bars fitted, particularly at highway speeds.

Oh, and there are other places to mount auxilliary lighting. ;):rolleyes:

Here's a blub from R&G:

Crash Protectors
We manufacture and market individual, bespoke designs for around 150 different models of motorcycle. Our crash protectors even received an MCN rating of 97%. These are not "mushrooms" and, unlike most competitors, we use de-embrittled high-tensile steel bolts, designed not to snap off on impact. In addition, we insert compression sleeves inside the bobbins, which are designed to scrub speed from crashes quickly and minimize damage to frames and fairings in most crash scenarios.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I prefer bungs. I fitted some German, Mototechnik ones on the Tiger, and they have saved the bike on 2 occasions. I've not dropped a bike for years and now Tigger has gone down twice in the last 2 years. I guess bars would've saved the indicator and footrest but the rest of the bike was unscathed.

I like the minimalist and discreet nature of bungs. Mind you, the RSG bungs on my Triple are more like the wings of a fighter aircraft (this doesn't detract from the aggressive appearance), beautifully made but not cheap (£160). I reckon the aerofoil section may give some lift at loony speeds.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kergan i like

kergan i like the bungs your right they are a more discreet cheers and thanks for all your ideas going to do some research :) thanks guys :)

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jonnybiscuits

yeah went on there web site checked it out but said £55 pounds delivery charge to guernsey i was like f*ck me thats a lot for p&p

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not dropped my Tiger (yet) but I've got the 1050 version of these fitted....see http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-885i--955i-1999-06-gsg-mototechnik-safety-crash-pad-set-gsg-crash-bungs-850-p.asp Very high quality and dead easy to fit.

You may want to consider spindle sliders & fork protectors too?
Wish I'd had them all on my Sprint ST. I dropped that 1st day !! From stationary and not much damage, but these would have saved it all.
I had fork protectors on my SV1000. They saved my forks on two occasions! Not sure they make them for the 955i. Anybody know?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kurgan

thanks mate great site thats more like it £8.69 and its cheaper than the other site because they remove the tax i may live in the u.k but i,m on a tiny island in the middle of the english channel actually i'm probably closer to france lol :D that sv is a beauty very smart but i still like the tiger

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a set of FEHLING crash bars on my 2002. They are (not surprisingly) German and you can find the dealer list on their web site. Reasonably priced, good looking and they work...at least in a low speed topple in my driveway.

Geoff

1 - 20 of 32 Posts