Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the crash bars from this place?

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/

They seem cheap enough, around £75 - but are they any good? Do they do the job? It is difficult to tell on the pics what they are bolted to and whether they will cause more damage if the bike is dropped.

Thanks for any response...

Chris.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, the ones you see at triumph-online are manufactured by a company called Fehling, but no one has reported yet how they hold up.

Search "Tiger- crashbars" for a post going on a bit ago that discussed pretty much all of the bars being sold.

When you finally decide that the Touratechs are best (as the majority of people who weighed in do) pick up an extra set for me would you- I've been waiting for mine for weeks!

good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're the ones, Fehling, half the price of Touratech - hence the quality question! How do you rate them Zadok? Any problems? They certainly look well in your pics...

Mattsy, I went looking for alternatives to Touratech because of the delivery/production problems they always seem to be having! However, after a closer look at the Triumph-online website i saw a little footnote saying 'Out of Stock'!!!

Chris.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Only just put them on and hopefully I won't be testing them in anger! They are very sturdy fitted. I can't see the Touratech ones being any sturdier for substantially higher price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, these sound like a pretty good deal all around.

I am on the waiting list for a set of the Touratechs, but I am thinking I will cancel and order a set of these.

So my next, and hopefully final, question is: how in the heck do I get them in the US?

Anyone?

·
Registered
783 Posts
On 2007-03-08 14:26, Mattsy wrote:
Yeah, these sound like a pretty good deal all around.
I am on the waiting list for a set of the Touratechs, but I am thinking I will cancel and order a set of these.

So my next, and hopefully final, question is: how in the heck do I get them in the US?

Anyone?
I ordered mine from the Fehling site direct from Germany tax free.

Fehling

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi people, I am a newbie here.

I have recently bought an 06/07 Tiger 955i and because I am getting older and frailer, I had a set of Thunderbike crash bars fitted (with lights) at delivery time.

The bars paid for themselves in the first 100 miles.

An old lady driver almost pushed me over by backing into me just on dusk. (I was stationary behind her parked car)

Being unfamiliar with the bike I struggled to find the horn button to alert her that I was there.

Meanwhile I overbalanced to the right and the hero knob on the foot peg got stuck in the top of my boot preventing me getting my leg out far enough in time.

By the time I freed my leg it was well over and my boot now slipped on the fine chips on the bitumen!

My nephew stopped the old lady from running me over while I gently lowered the Tiger to the ground and onto the crash-bar. (Bloody heavy!)

Quickly killed the engine and turned off the key and three of us lifted the tiger back onto it's feet while the old lady drove off into the night completely oblivious to my plight!

100 miles on the clock, on her side and the only damage was the slightly chipped black paint on the Thunderbike bar.

I think they are worth every penny and all the family think they look good too, much better than their photographs show.

Best thing I ever did asking for them to be fitted. Cheers John.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the Touratech bars and hope never to have to put them to the test. They are well made being sturdy but light construction. Of the options available I think they look the best,the curve really blends with the lines of the bike. You pays your money etc. As for delivery I had no problems.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On 2007-03-07 18:13, BoneyMalloney wrote:
They're the ones, Fehling, half the price of Touratech - hence the quality question! How do you rate them Zadok? Any problems? They certainly look well in your pics...

Mattsy, I went looking for alternatives to Touratech because of the delivery/production problems they always seem to be having! However, after a closer look at the Triumph-online website i saw a little footnote saying 'Out of Stock'!!!

Chris.
I looked at both sets in the flesh and went for the Touratech ones. They are twice the price but if I ever get to test them in anger I want the best fitted.

Just for teh record, I ordered mine from the Touratech web site last week and they turned up today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trunkie: Your Touratech bars turned up in a week! That's good news, as they seem to have sorted their supply problems out i might give them a try.

I'm off to the North West 200 in May - so that's the deadline!

Thanks for info...

Chris.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It was actually under a week so I was very pleased

After reading a few of the posts on this site I was a bit concerned but they turned up no problem.

I tried to fit them yesterday but did not have a size 55 Torx drive. Typical, I have every other ruddy size.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I fitted the Touratech bars last night and I am very happy with the fit and the quality.

They did take longer than I expected to fit though. A couple of those bolts were very difficult for me. I have big hands and that forward most engine bolt on the left hand side was really difficult.

Lets hope that I never have to test them out for real.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've ordered the bars from the Touratech website.

I'm working on the theory that if i don't have the bars then i probably will drop the bike and hopefully wont drop it when i've spent time and money fitting bars... :hammer:

Chris.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is funny how the mind works sometimes.

I have quite happily bene throwing my Tiger around the leafy lanes in Sussex but as soon as I ordered the crash bars I slowed down because I didnt not want to drop the bike before they were fitted.

Stupid but true.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As i said in a previous post, i ended up ordering the Touratech bars (good choice according to last post!) Well, they arrived today. Took about a month, so not so bad...

I've put over 5000 miles on without the bars - no problems. If the bike falls over this weekend then it's obviously the bars that are too heavy!

Seriously though, i'll feel a lot better on the campsites and dodgy hardcore car parks, especially in unfamiliar places. They could be the difference between being stranded and riding home.

Thanks all for your input....

Chris.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just back from my Triumph dealer with a quote for the damage after the bike got knocked off it's side stand. Not much change out of £1000!!

Just been looking at the Touratech engine bars on another Tiger and although they look a lot better than my bent Fehling bars, I can't help wondering if the Touratech bars will do as good a job as the Fehling bars. Anyone tested Touratech bars.

My Fehling bars are totaled as they are too badly bent, but they did do the job of protecting most of the bike.

£1000's worth of damage is down to -

Fairing cracked - It didn't touch the desk but the shock cracked it around the lights. It looks like the nearside headlamp house adjuster hit caused the damage.

Fehling engine bars bent.

Hand guards (after market from Triumph-online) busted on offsde.

Sports Can has small dnet and scratch (I didn't notice this at first.)

Offside foot pegs have small scratch.

Where the pillion (offside peg) touched the deck it has slightly bent the frame. pannier still fits but fram could do with realiging.

Handlebar weight bolt bent.

As I mentioned before I probably wont be going for the Fehling bars again and would be interested to hear from anyone that has tested other engine bars out and hear what sort of damage happened.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
How fast was he going when he hit it?????? Most people including myself who have had a low speed tumble have got away much more lightly - free for the N/S, £12 for the O/S on mine - without engine bars etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would guess less than 5mph. I had park directly behind his builders truck so he couldn't see the bike. That said I had spoken to him and said mind my bike!

Don't worry I have learnt the lesson.

Originally it was going to be settled out of insurance. First inspections looked like the damage was just the engine bars and the after market hand guards. It wasn't till the crack in fairing was noticed that my builder said that it might be best to go via his insurance.

As soon as it went for it's quote today and it was known to be an insurance job, the dealer went over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm glad as I missed loads.

Paul
Hertford

[ This message was edited by: pgatensuk on 2007-04-27 14:56 ]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts