Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What kind of bars work well on an '06 Speedmaster to help keep it from laying flat on it's side?

I have the Triumph 'Dresser Bars' that look like a V when viewed from the front. If I lay the bike down, it lays flat. The bars do not hold it at all.

I have a dickens of a time getting the bike up from horizontal. If it were up even a little, I could do a lot better.

I know -- don't ever drop it would be the best thing, but as long as Murphy is still around...... Well, you know.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No Answers?

Am I to take it by the lack of response that no one has found an effective solution yet?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lifting Bike

I've heard that it's easier to lift a bike by facing away from it (back to it) and walking toward it with small steps while holding it in down-stretched arms. But ..... I dunno.

Wait! Here it is:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/latest/MMSCHomeSecondary.asp?cid=5&mid=32&scat=27

Hope this helps. Sorry - don't know about any other bars.
Thanks for the link, Ruger.

The first way doesn't work at all for me. To grab the handlebar and the seat, I start in a full squat. If I had bars that didn't allow the bike to go full horizontal, I could probably use this method.

The second way will work, but at 500 lbs plus a full tank, it's definitely not easy!!

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is the proper way to lift a heavy bike. I've done it for a few people that have laid down their beast.
Yes, I've seen small women right heavy bikes this way. But it only works if you can get your butt up against the seat. No bars or bags to lift the seat off the ground far enough and it won't work.

They always show it using the heavies like mechanical advantage is something none of us know about. I'd like to see the same technique used on a late model (500lbs) stock Bonneville.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts