Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R-3 2006

The bike was running fine/starting fine. Now it cranks but doesn't start. I have had the battery on a tender, yadayadayada...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
This is on your new bike just delivered, likely with less than 100 miles.
I think I would call your dealer and question the completeness of their work on the new bike preparation check list. That bike is not suppose to act up like yours is doing. A connection has likely worked lose - which falls into dealer prep in my opinion.

Assume you checked for gas in tank (too obvious but fits the scenario). Check for lose connections i.e., injectors, battery ground strap etc. Doesn't sound like burnt fuse or burnt headlight because the motor is turning. Good luck running this to ground, sure a connection worked lose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tall Rocket

The bike was purchased from a private owner from this forum. The bike is pretty new 1,800 miles - original owner purchased in 8/2006. The dealer around here is closed today as are the few others I called.

Battery is now on a tender. I lifted the tank, looked like everything was connected with the exception of 3 connections looked like the go nowhere.

Can a spark have fouled?

I'm scrambling

If you can call (302) 376.9539

Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: 1ststater on 2007-02-12 10:44 ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
1ststater;

This is Royal R-3... Have you gotten it started since your last post?
Mine is in the shop.. at this time... but I recall that when I had not rode the Rocket in a couple of days, it was sometimes harder to start than normal.

You might want to flip your kill switch on and off again, depressing firmly. I had a buddy whose bike wouldn't start, but is was a fluke... in his kill switch. It was 1/2 cocked and allowed the bike to turn over, but not start. We found it by shear accident....

On 2007-02-12 09:22, 1ststater wrote:
Tall Rocket

The bike was purchased from a private owner from this forum. The bike is pretty new 1,800 miles - original owner purchased in 8/2006. The dealer around here is closed today as are the few others I called.

Battery is now on a tender. I lifted the tank, looked like everything was connected with the exception of 3 connections looked like the go nowhere.

Can a spark have fouled?

I'm scrambling

If you can call (302) 376.9539

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Royal

I will try and start it a little later. The battery is still charging and I'm trying to concentrate on work - not easy to do

I'll mess with the kill switch and go thru the motions again.

Is there maybe some sort of 'reset' function?

I did get in touch with the original dealer in CT. He said a plug may have fouled - I don't know, I wish I did

Thanks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
This will be something simple, I promise. Absolutely no reason to expect spark plugs or fouling, this is a new bike and no record of higher bikes with any history of fouling plugs.

You do have the owners manual? Your not starting by adding throttle, if you are moving the throttle please stop.

Tough to work when you want to be riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's it

I've been dealing with this ***** for a day and a half. It's goin' to the local dealer.

The battery, after 12 attempts is dead - again. And of course the bike did not start!

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I need to go 3 rounds with the likes of Mike Tyson, just to vent my frustration.

F%@#$ S*&^MotherF*&!!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
I had to change my plugs at 50 miles on my 06 rocket because of same problem. Replaced the cheapass NGKs with Autolite. Not my final choice, but got me on the road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the stock plugs are no good. In another topic about starting, I'm seeing where the stock battery sucks.

What else should I replace - The whole bike?

·
Registered
617 Posts
On 2007-02-26 07:51, 1ststater wrote:
So the stock plugs are no good. In another topic about starting, I'm seeing where the stock battery sucks.

What else should I replace - The whole bike?
The stock plugs are just fine. I've got 45 thousand miles on the original stock plugs and the bike still runs like new. As for the battery, my stock battery is also in good shape. I replaced it because I thought it was causing the cold weather starting problems mentioned on another thread, but the battery wasn't the issue. Yuasa makes a good battery, but I suppose they also make a few duds too that get through.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ah come on now.
There have been tons of Rockets sold that have had ZERO issues.
I've got an '05 with +14k on it, pretty much stock (TORs only). My output shaft bearing went at 3500 miles. I've had it replaced and have had no other issues. I regularly start my bike, even when its 20 degrees F, with no issues. I'm running stock NGK plugs that have been replaced at 10K checkup with another set of NGKs.

I'm sure by the sheer volume of batteries made by the manufacturer, a few are gonna be bad.
I'm sure by the number of people employed by Triumph, that somebody will do less than stellar work when building a Rocket and a connection will not be done correctly.

It is purely statistics. If we were all on this site bitching about the same issues or verifying the fact that the bike is a piece of junk, that would be another issue entirely...but that's clearly not the case.

Guys that modify their bikes with pipes, tunes, air filters, turbos and the like take the chance that the bike will not perform as expected. That is certainly not Triumph's issue.

If your bike will not start and you have done all the cursory checks to insure that you are not doing something prohibitive, take the bike back to your dealer. That is what those guys are put on earth for!

OK. I'm climbing off my soapbox now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts