Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2000 Sprint ST are there any lockouts that would prevent the starter from cranking with the tank and airbox off the bike?

I am getting the bike back in order after having it parked for 17 months. I pulled the tank, airbox, coils and plugs, squirted about 5cc of oil in each cylinder then waited a bit. I want to spin the engine a few times to distribute the oil and get the rest of the engine lubed before trying to start it up for real.

Dropped the battery in and made up the terminal connections. Turned on the key and the idiot lights lit up. Hit the starter button and heard the relay click but no cranking. The battery has been out of the bike and on a tender the whole time, I thought that would be enough. Before I replace the battery I thought I would check with you lot to see if I am missing a connection or safety switch that is preventing the starter from engaging.

Thanks for any comments

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
clutch must be pulled in, in neutral, or kickstand up. Does your horn work?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie S.

Thanks! I forgot the clutch. Clearly been off too long. Good thing MSF available locally.

All sorted now. Got oil pressure up by cranking for 5 sec intervals spaced a few seconds apart. Now to put it back together, warm it up, change the oil, run some Sea Foam through it and get it back on the streets.

Thanks again.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Great!
Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts