Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 98 TBS with a cracked/broken crankcase. The upside is that I have an engine/transmission for a TB that I bought at auctions, sitting in the garage. I want to take the 6 speed transmission from the TBS unit and put into the TB unit. The "cooling fins" are damaged on the TB unit, so I'd like to also swap the head from the TBS. What components would you replace, keep, also swap, etc. in order to produce the most reliable unit from the two. Anything to watch out for? What could be done to improve power significantly while I'm in there?

-J

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Someone else step in if I'm wrong, but I think all the parts are interchangeable, so you can use the case from the tbird and the cylinder head from the TBS. The 6-speed trans and shift drum will fit in either crankcase, but you need both to get 6 speeds. (Actually, the 5 speed trans is the same except the 6th gear is replaced with a spacer, and the 5 speed shift drum stops at 5th.)

Color matching is another issue...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts