Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the kindest way of locking up the crank when tightening the cranshaft pinion nut and the camshaft pinion nuts, with the engine out? I'm not keen on using a bar through the small ends - seems cruel to me, and I imagine those conrod bolts stretching!

Any tips on this would be very welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I wouldn't put a bar through the rods either;a bit rough for me.

I use a spare crank pinion,jammed between the idler wheel and cam wheel.Of course,not everybody has one.
If you hold the crank nut with one spanner,you can tighten camwheels against that with another spanner.That won't get the crank nut tight enough,it will still be 1/2 as tight as the camwheel.40 ft-lbs on the camwheels is plenty.
Some things are easier tightened when the engine is back in the frame.You can use top gear and lock the brake on.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
For the cam nuts, because one is a LH thread, can you not simply put a wrench on the LH and RH cam threads and tighten both and then repeat for the other RH thread on the crank?

Maybe that is what you are saying to do for the cam nuts, but not the nut on the crank cam drive pinion because of the gear ratio doubling the torque on the LH cam nut so you end up halving the torque on the crank nut. Yes?

I like using a spare crank pinion. I'll have to pick one up from Lance when I see him.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spare crank pinion seems an excellent idea - just need to get hold of one now! Thanks for tips everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts