Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
been reading posts for a while now, lots of helpful advice, so hoping someone can help me.

2006 Bonneville T100. I decided to do the much discussed crank case breather re-route from the air box. Bought a new piece if hose, bit tight so put end in hot water to soften it a bit. While pushing and wiggling said pipe on to the spigot on the crank case it popped out (in). I could just see the end right on the edge of the casing so tried to get hold of it with good old needle nose pliers, but lost it and it disappeared into the crank case :eek: Any ideas how to retrieve it, and how much i'll need to strip out . I guess this part is only a push fit. Would have thought it would have had a more robust fixing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (as long as they are not to painful !!) :laugh2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I had got that far. Will I need to remove the clutch ?:unsure

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
No, you won't need to dismantle the clutch. Drain the oil and collect some old rags. Disconnect the gear lever and clutch cable, undo the clutch cover bolts, a few firm taps with a rubber mallet to dislodge the cover, place some rags strategically to catch the last coffee mug of oil, and pull it away. Watch out for the gear, pin and wavy washer that drives the starter motor as well as the bullet-nosed clutch actuator - all are looking to make a break for freedom...

Tim

Reactions: endoscopy

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
On the 2006 models the crankcase breather hose spigot is easily pushed back, as the OP has found, because it has to be removed at the same time as the outer clutch case cover. It's attached to the tube shown on this photo. That one is badly bent and distorted because the cover was wrenched out without easing the spigot from the main case:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Search (on this site) crank case breather and read all the threads. You will find some nice step by step procedures in a few. Your going to need a new clutch cover gasket and while your in there you may want to renew some seals, reading the searched threads will help you decide. The job is not very hard once you do your research.

this is one site (find your year and make) to order stuff their are others or you can go to your local Triumph dealer.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/2005-triumph-thruxton.html

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Damn

Any ideas how to retrieve it, and how much i'll need to strip out . I guess this part is only a push fit. Would have thought it would have had a more robust fixing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (as long as they are not to painful !!) :laugh2:
Mr. Jonnys Bonnie,

The worst pain is removing the old gasket, after the cover comes off. If I remember correctly, there are a couple of dowls to be aware off that help locate the cover. In late 06 the system changed from the pipe to a labyrinth type venting. My 06 has that change.
The only thing that holds the pipe in place is an O-ring, the preform of the pipe, and the hose clamp on the venting tube to the air box. As Forcehtto has shown the pipe is quite malleable. You will have to bend yours back into position. It's not a big deal!

While your in there you should change the crank seal and the O-ring, and look carefully at the oil pump gears. They have been known to break.

Namaste,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
06 should or may have the new breather without the tube to the crank.if so its just a nipple

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys.
I did quite a bit of trawling through posts but couldn't find a similar problem. I think I might have the later one as it sounded like the spigot dropped - I heard a slight rattle. New gasket arrived this A.M. so will have a go tomorrow. Not sure what seals I might need so "suck it and see" as they say. LOL.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jon

:grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
One way of telling whether you have the early system or the newer one is the hose spigot size: Bonnies up to 2005 or 2006 had 6 mm (around 1/4") outlet breathers, from then on they have 13mm (1/2").

·
Registered
953 Posts
Make sure the wavy washer on the starter boss is on for reassembly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Forchetto , definitely the later one then.

Yep read a few times about the wavy washer, will keep an eye out :nerd:

Cheers guys

:smile2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope I can squeeze a bit more info out of you knowledgeable people.
I have removed the crank cover and I have the new breather system.
No sign of the dislodged spigot as it is behind covered area, which is behind the clutch at the top. Clutch of so I can undo the screws holding the plate in position then ??
I have looked and looked through the threads but can't find any pics

Cheers

Jonnys Bonnie

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
you can remove the 4 bolts that hold the springs on then there will be a nut under that take that nut off and the clutch will slide out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update - Sorted

OK. Here we go.
Thanks for all your replys and suggestions.
This little problem is now sorted and I thought I would share a few photo's in case anyone is interested or one day has the same problem. Everyone loves a picture right?

Drained the oil, removed clutch cable and bracket, gear change lever, removed cover, and voila !! inside.

[/IMG]

The big black arrow points to the crank case breather plate, so its of with the clutch !!

[/IMG]

After removing the clutch springs you will need the Triumph tool to lock the clutch while undoing the centre nut. Not got one ? LOL ! Who has ? Quick trip to my friend who is a mechanic, borrowed this little tool, and its soon undone.

[/IMG]

Once that's out of the way you can see the upper breather plate. This is what it is referred to in Triumph parts list.
Undo the six screws. The arrow points to the where the spigot is located.

[/IMG]

This is the plate when removed.

[/IMG]

As you can see in this photo, the spigot and where it should be. Note there is no O ring or seal, it is just a press fit.
It seems I could have saved myself a lot of trouble as the spigot would not have gone anywhere and I could have left it where it was.
Oh well.
Time to put it all back together again. I didn't replace the gasket for the breather plate (yes I know. Should have done.) It still looked good so carefully replaced. On with the clutch using the borrowed tool to torque the nut up.
Now the painful part. Doing up the bolts on the clutch lifter plate. Using the Triumph tool would have made the job much quicker and easier. Take your time doing the bolts up little by little making sure the clutch lifter piece turns easily and can be pulled in and out easily with your fingers. Took me about half an hour. one word of caution - I tightened the bolts down and everything was nice and sooth then torqued them up. Job done ? Not quite. While checking everything was ready, wavey washer, locating pegs, I then tried the clutch again, and it was stuck tight !!. Backed of the bolts until everything was nice and free then tightened and torqued. Got it right this time. So be careful.
Cleaned of the old gasket, fitted new one and everything back together. Started her up, went for ride, everything ok.

So there we have it. Hope this helps someone and of interest to others'

Jon

·
Registered
164 Posts
Stupid question ..... breather mod?

Ok guys, here goes it. A stupid question ... I have a Uni breather. I have not removed my air box and I don't think I will. Can I merely cut the hose leading from the crankcase to the airbox and fit my breather? Why not? Simple, right?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Ok guys, here goes it. A stupid question ... I have a Uni breather. I have not removed my air box and I don't think I will. Can I merely cut the hose leading from the crankcase to the airbox and fit my breather? Why not? Simple, right?
Yes, but plug the hole left in the airbox to stop unfiltered air from sneaking in. The breather discharges downstream of the filter element.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts