Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's a good one of these available in the states?

I figure that if I spend $100 on one and use it 2-3 times it will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Make your own for 10.00$$ Search under "manometer" and PM me if any questions....easy to make with some aquarium tubing, stabil, and a yard stick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahahaha, man my typing already sucks then I go and post something half asleep.

Thanks for the info on the CARB sync tools.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I use one of these. Setup is easy and the sensitivity is adjustable. This is everything I want in a synchronizer, with no mercury (or other messy liquids) or necessity to hang it from or lean it against something. It can be plugged in and laid on the seat for easy reading. Balancing takes me about 3 minutes...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2007-03-12 08:51, doctorjay wrote:
Make your own for 10.00$$ Search under "manometer"
I bought the material for this, then soon after read someone had theirs checked at a shop after using this method, and it was pretty far off.

Has anybody compared the tools from New Bonneville to the home made version?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I suppose that is a way...at least in theory. Back in the old days, we used to bring up the idle and then disconnect one plug wire. With the engine running at idle on one cylinder, the idle mixture screw was turned in one direction or the other until optimal. Then the wire was replaced and the process was repeated on the other cylinder. Once the mixture was right on each cylinder, the idle was brought back down and carbs were synchronized. It is a technique that is difficult on a triple or a four, but it seems to work great on twins.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sheepdog,

Does the electronic device connect directly to the vacuum ports and sync both carbs at the same time? On a bike without vacuum ports, where would you place the adapter?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
On 2007-03-13 12:28, mtgarritson wrote:
Sheepdog,

Does the electronic device connect directly to the vacuum ports and sync both carbs at the same time? On a bike without vacuum ports, where would you place the adapter?

Thanks,

Mike
It's not an electronic device, he's talking about spark plug wires. You have to sync the carbs buy turning the throttle linkage screw.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Mike,
If your question is about the synchronizer that I linked: it is connected to the vacuum nipples on the intake manifolds (under the rubber caps) on both cylinders simultaneously. If these are not on your bike (unlikely on any recently manufactured machine), your manifolds must be drilled for nipples. Carbs can also be synched by observing the butterflies in the carbs. As the throttle is twisted, both butterflies should start to open simultaneously. The same throttle linkage screw will allow you to adjust.

If you're talking about my later post re setting idle mixture...Sweatmachine is right.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sorry I'm late. But if you're going from Dungeness to Alaska King, you definitely need to rejet.

Or just wait til molting season. BLUE IS BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:razz:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts