Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been discussed, polled, or otherwise measured, but I was just scoping out my Thruxton, all clean and shiny, and pondering the cowl over the seat. I like it - a lot. A bit impractical at times for carrying stuff, but that is usually planned for ahead of time. And I almost never have a passenger.
The bike is still pretty cool without it, with the stepped and contoured seat, but I prefer the look more with the cowl.
What say you other Thruxton riders?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Cowl.. except when travelling... when I put my bags on the back the cowl forces them to sit awkwardly, making it tough to ride... also the cowl bows if I load my bags up too much...

So if I'm luggaged up, cowl comes off... otherwise, on...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
cowl if you remove the mudguard (fender) without the cowl it if you still have the fender.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Cowl is only put on when i ride alone and that is only on saturdays as my darling commutes with me every day and loves our sunday rides out into the Adelaide hills etc.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
As mentioned...W/cowl unless Im going on a road trip and my bag is back there...

Heh Heh...I said bag back there...
Although...the older I get... ... ...;):D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Prefer the look of the cowl, but I also think it looks damn fine without the cowl. The cowl makes it look badass, cowl-less it looks more refined. Lately I mostly always ride with my tailbag b/c I often run errands when riding in the afternoons or when I ride to work because I need to take my stuff.

In all honesty, I probably would not have bought the bike if it didn't come with a cowl. It is that look that first caught my attention. The way that the black with gold strip on the cowl lines up with the tank that somehow makes me not want to stop looking at it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I feel a bit of an imposter here as I USED to have a Thrux but feel I qualify as I have Thruxed the mag wheel bonnie which is now faster lighter and torquier than my Thrux thanks to a variety of mods including preds and pc.

Anyway I made the fatal mistake of putting a Rentec rack on the Thrux - fatal because it detracted from the lines albeit I could go on trips. But in hindsight like most Thrux owners I ride 99.9% solo so I could easily have left the rack off and enjoyed the cowl. As it was it was not terminal but it did stand out when you glanced back admiringly at the bike, as you do, when going to pay at the petrol station. That was always a wrench - the irritation of knowing that you had carried the sleeping bag and gear safely and in comfort but had wrecked the lines.

With the thruxtonised mag wheel bonnie there is none of that angst.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts