Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I have a 2013 thruxton my dream bike. I have had it since March. I live in south east New Mexico and sadly winter is on the way. I have just over 1300 miles on her and need help on winterization. This is my first real bike and also my first new vehicle I have ever purchased in my life. I have done the 500mile service myself and haven't had any issues with the bike other than when real cold and humid it will stumble from 3000rpm to about 4000rpm. What do I need to winterize her? I'm going to put her in a garage and for sure a battery tender jr. What else should I do? Also I was wondering on spools and also a race stand for the rear. Where could I find one? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Throw some sta-bil in the tank, itll keep the gas good all winter, as for stands, I bought a cheap swing arm stand from harbor freight and it works great, was 20$ during a sidewalk sale. I just bought a used front fork stand at my local powersports store and it cost 50$ and seems to be no better quality than the HF one...don't spend the money on pitbull, or something along those lines, unless you plan on using it constantly, like track days or bike shows.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would think down there that your storage season is not too long so if you want to go cheap no need for stands, just make sure the tires are inflated properly and roll it every now and then so the tires don't get flat spots.

I would recommend sea foam over stabil, I have had problems with gas still going bad with stabil but with seafoam non at all. My snow blower sat this year for 9 months with seafoam and fired up first pull. Also top off your gas tank preferably with non ethanol gas to limit condensation.

If you want stands I got some of the cheapo harbor freight kind but got two front stands since they have rubber covered pegs that I just put under the swing arm without having to use spools.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I personally drain my oil and refill with cheapo oil to sit the winter. I read somewhere that used oil can be acidic and you don't want to store a vehicle with it. I'm really a little neurotic though. I then drain said cheopo oil and give it fresh oil and filter in spring. I also wash the bike, plastic bags over muffler openings with rubber bands, and use a light oil like WD40 on the metal bits to ward off moisture.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have no advice to add, but I only just now learned through Googling that it gets cold in New Mexico. Who knew!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah who would have thought that it gets cold. I rode her a couple days it was 25* outside a little chilly. It was cold on my hands. I appreciate the help I hate to park her but I did. The very next day it snowed down here. I got lucky. I may look at the harbor freight stands. I will put stabil in the tank and hope for the best. Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm in Colorado, so we do indeed do winter here. On thing to remember, in our climate it is possible to have crazy warm days to be able to sneak in a ride. So, the need to permanently put it on stands is, not really a need. In over 10 years I have never put a bike on stands to "store" it. And never suffered flat spots. As others have mentioned, keep the tire pressures up, put in sta-bil (is just fine to ride if you do) and move the bike around once in awhile. Or, ride it, all the better. Other than that, good to go. When you go to start her up, you will be good to go. The oil thing is up to you. I just changed my oil from my 500 mile service. I won't change it again till I need to. This is how I've always done it, and never had an issue. YMMV.

·
2,930 Posts
If you're up for it, you can ride it year round in NM unless your area is snowbound for weeks on end.

Heck, I rode to work today and the street in front of my house still has a couple of inches of snow covering it, and it was 16F. Heated gear goes a long ways but I'd rather figure out a way to ride. Then again.. I'm weird.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you're up for it, you can ride it year round in NM unless your area is snowbound for weeks on end.

Heck, I rode to work today and the street in front of my house still has a couple of inches of snow covering it, and it was 16F. Heated gear goes a long ways but I'd rather figure out a way to ride. Then again.. I'm weird.
Ride mine all year round, but snow, nooooooooooooooooo. Only ever did it once, on my old bonnie, never again.
Don't know what its like where you live, but here in the UK, 1" snow, country grinds to a halt!
Biggsy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the help. It does snow in this area. I live in an area where when the snow flies people forget how to drive. The oil field is here also and that doesn't help with big class 8 trucks. I can live letting her sit for a bit while the weather is here. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I personally drain my oil and refill with cheapo oil to sit the winter. I read somewhere that used oil can be acidic and you don't want to store a vehicle with it.
I read an article that stated something similar once, my take was that you should change your oil at least once a year. Don't let oil sit in the engine for over a year just because you haven't hit the next scheduled change by mileage.

A point in the article was that the acidization was a function of high temperature exposure during engine usage. Your oil isn't becoming acidic from just sitting there.

Certainly no harm (to the engine) from doing a change prior to storage. Probably actually a great idea. Wouldn't it be cheaper though just to do a normal change with 'real' oil rather than two changes? You mention being a little neurotic ... you know you can never get all the oil out, so the cheapo oil is probably what is coating your engine parts in the spring. Providing inadequate protection as your internals grind themselves into a fine metal paste. :p

My point being that a second oil change in spring is redundant and perhaps actually counter productive as some of the cheapo oil will still be in the system. You are blending your oils without...damn it THIS is how oil threads get started!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts