Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I plan to replace both my wheels with S4 wheels that I bought off ebay. For the most part I believe this should be pretty straight forward. The questions I have are listed below:

1) The wheels I got did not come with the rotors so I will be swapping mine over. The manual states that I should use new bolts but they're $7 something a piece at Bikebandit. Is it really necessary for me to replace them and is there anywhere I can pick them up for cheaper?

2) What tools will I need for removing the axles? It looks like a large socket for the rear one and a large allen key for the front, any idea on the sizes?

3) Any recommendations on axle grease or another other things I'll need?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The rear comes with the toolkit, the front is a 17mm allen-type if I remember rightly. Be careful of the speedo drive on the front wheel when you're removing it.

Obviously you'll need a set of paddock stands or similar to get the wheels off the ground.

I'm afraid I can't answer the brake disc question.

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
I never replaced brake bolts. It's the locktite you need to use to make sure they don't come apart. Losing a brake disk would be more exciting than any of us would appreciate. Of course, in the interest of legal correctness, I can't tell you what to do, but blue locktite and following the proper torque setting worked for me.

The front allen is 17mm and the rear hex is something like 27mm, if I remember right. I have been messing with the race bike (SV650) and the 'tard (Husqvarna) a lot lately and may have everything all crossed up.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Like Will said, there's no reason to replace the rotor bolts of you blue locktite 'em. My S4 has silver TT wheels ... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts