Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK lucky 800 owners, couple of questions. First, has anyone bought the Triumph "Adventure Top Box"? I'm trying to get the inside dimensions to see if my laptop will fit.
Second, is the FI as smooth as the articles say? I've got a Tiger 1050 and I curious if the notchy throttle and buzziness it has is shared with it's little brother?
One more - how's fuel economy so far?

Thanks!

·
30,693 Posts
Yes, the FI is as smooth as they say. I absolutely am loving the way the bike rides. This is the first bike I have had with fuel injection, so I can't compare it to other FI bikes, but I am loving it.

I do not have the adventure top box. I have the side cases, and I like them, but I don't like that top box. I'll do something different for that. Not sure what. Maybe get a Trax box or something in due course.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Can you tell me the inside dimensions of the side cases? I'm trying to see if a laptop case will fit. I've got a 1050 Tiger and a laptop will not fit in the side cases.
What kind of gas mileage have you been getting?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Internal dimensions of top box

Internal dimensions are: 15"(w) x 11"(d) x 11.5"(h) although there are a couple of intrusions in the lower part of the case which would lose you a inch or so on the width and depth. If you are thinking of this box remember you will need to buy a mounting carriage as well bringing up the cost to almost that of the two panniers and the left pannier alone seems bigger than the top box.
The FI fueling seems fine. It is smoother than a Tiger 1050 although I had no problems with my 1050.
Most people I know are getting 55mpg (UK) from their 800's although I am only getting 50mpg(UK). This may be due to an Arrow exhaust I have had fitted. Even the dealers demo bike is now giving 55mpg. MPG seems to get better after the first 1000miles or so.

·
30,693 Posts
I'm averaging 42mpg at the moment. Not that great I guess, but I'm OK with it. I will be able to get you some dimensions on the side cases when I return next week. They are well made, and I like them. I will post pics of the insides and everything.

·
30,693 Posts
My fuel economy is improving by the way. It started at 38mpg when I bought the bike, pretty much immediately went to 42 ( could well have been measurement error on the first tank especially), and todays ride of 470 miles averaged at 45.8 miles per US gallon. So that's good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
First tank was 41.1 and the 2nd was 43.6. I fully expect the next tank to go down, since I am past my 300 mile break in and can twist the Tigers tail more.

·
30,693 Posts
I haven't found the mileage to alter much, even with much throttle twisting. I'm averaging 43 more or less.

And I still need to do that luggage review........

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK lucky 800 owners, couple of questions. First, has anyone bought the Triumph "Adventure Top Box"? I'm trying to get the inside dimensions to see if my laptop will fit.
Second, is the FI as smooth as the articles say? I've got a Tiger 1050 and I curious if the notchy throttle and buzziness it has is shared with it's little brother?
One more - how's fuel economy so far?

Thanks!
I have the top box and will try to remember to get measurements for you. A couple of comments off the cuff:

-It's big. I put my laptop inside easily (13" macbook). Much bigger than the BMW top box I have on my old 2001 BMW F650GS.
-It perhaps looks too big but I'm growing to like its size because I can put my workout clothes and other stuff in it too.
-It "floats" on the mount (as intended). So, the other day it was rattling a little over some curvy, bumpy roads. Something to get used to I guess.
-For carrying a laptop and getting in out and off everyday my preference would be a top box over the side bags because it's top loading.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I have the top box and will try to remember to get measurements for you. A couple of comments off the cuff:

-It "floats" on the mount (as intended). So, the other day it was rattling a little over some curvy, bumpy roads. Something to get used to I guess.
What the heck is the deal with that? I noticed someone mentioned that same thing on another forum. What is the real point of the floating? And don't you think if they're going to make it floating they should at least make it float quietly? Triumph seems very much into this floating luggage system lately for some reason.

I just ordered one yesterday, it should be here Wednesday so I'll get a first hand "float/rattle" experience.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
What the heck is the deal with that? I noticed someone mentioned that same thing on another forum. What is the real point of the floating? And don't you think if they're going to make it floating they should at least make it float quietly? Triumph seems very much into this floating luggage system lately for some reason.

I just ordered one yesterday, it should be here Wednesday so I'll get a first hand "float/rattle" experience.
The sliding carriage just allows the top box to move from side to side shifting the center of gravity as you lean into a turn just like the rider does, but it doesn't bounce up and down over rough roads ... After a while you don't even notice it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
What is the real point of the floating?.
It is, according to Triumph, required for aerodynamic stability at speed. European legislation requires all vehicle manufacturers to test and certify, not just the vehicle (inc motorcycles), but all accessories for safety under all conditions. This applies to all new models from a certain date.
This why Triumph luggage has both a weight and a speed limit. At present, after market manufacturers are not required to submit their products for such tests. However, I am sure it will come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts