Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after riding my bike for the first couple times this year. I had no issues what so ever. today when I took it after work (after sitting for about 2 weeks as the weather got cold again)

I noticed like 2-3 drips and checked it out. There is nothing seeping from the gasket on the bottom of the engine and nothing around the oil plug. After feeling around a bit cause I did not notice any drips at all as my bike is very clean I noticed the little black box the kickstand is connected to (i assume the kickstand kill switch) was a tad bit wet with oil and it was above where the floor mark was.

Now my levels are fine and I could not notice anything around that area that would have got that wet. The amount was very small but the bottom of the stand kill was coated. I am wondering if you have any thoughts?

I have a white marker below it now after I took it for a drive today so I can see what the progress is with drippage.

Think it had something to do with the fact that it was pretty warm for a couple weeks and was ridden then put away and dropped below freezing again?

regardless it should not be dripping oil at all...:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Was it chain lube? Sometimes I slather too much lube on my chain and it flips off my Triple precisely where you mentioned the drips originating on your bike. Just a thought...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did just lube my chain last time I took it out before this. but I could have sworn It was a light amount. Ill have to take a look at the chain lube and see if its oil like.

I thought about it again but did not think after 50 mile ride that much would gather and drip but I could be wrong.

Hopefully i am

thanks ill make sure

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
It could be your countershaft seal. I've gone through 3 of them on my '01. Another area could be the sidestand bolts. The fix for that is to remove each bolt one at a time and slather the threads with RTV and reinstall. Might just be chain lube...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
How about this Possibility?

This happened to mine a couple weeks ago. When I was leaving work, I noticed a puddle of oil under my bike. It really bumbed me out on my ride home and after checking underneath there wasn't any clue to where it might be leaking. Then it hit me..........I park where dozens of other bikes park, mostly Harley Davidsons and other cruisers.
The oil was from someone elses motorcycle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
as speed3 said its more than likely coming from around your kickstand bolts. this is a well known problem. and an easy fix. nothing to really worry about though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Dad's '01 had a similar problem -- turned out to be gas leaking from somewhere, mixing with road dirt and then looking like oil. If all else fails, check this.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Dad's '01 had a similar problem -- turned out to be gas leaking from somewhere, mixing with road dirt and then looking like oil. If all else fails, check this.

I would hope gas would still have a gas smell to it. I fig I would even be able to smell the gas in the oil but the oil smell is so faint cause It was changed not to long ago it just smells like new oil

or could smell like chain lube ! :p

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rag is clean so far so I think it was chain lube!

Im going to keep watching though as it only had like 2 drips after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a very small leak that sounded quite similar to this, in that it also seemed to come from the kickstand bolts. It turned out to be coming from the neutral sensor switch. After a new crush washer and some thread sealant, everything was sorted.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I pretty much disassembled my bike this winter and one of the things I noticed was that this area of the bike collected a ton of oily greasy ****. I was concerned at first, but after I cleaned it up I realized it wasn't a problem.
I've also had a recent oil leak scare. Spot under the bike. Didn't smell like gas. Turned out is was a worn o-ring on a fuel fitting, small gas leak dripping down, collecting grunge and dropping onto the floor looking like oil. New o-ring and aok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fought a similar problem for three years on my '99, even changed out the pan gasket. Finally found the answer in the Sprint forum: a wet bolt hole, due to metal porosity. Cleaned the hole really well, bought a new 6mm bolt and used thread sealer, finally fixed. In my case, it was the rearmost bolt on the shifter side, which made chasing it down really tough, as it was near the countershaft seal, the sidestand bolts, and the neutral safety switch-all leak possibilities mentioned in forum posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts