Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Italian press are reporting the conversation between the coast guard cutter captain and the Costa Concordia's captain, who was already afloat in a lifeboat and unwilling to return to the ship to coordinate rescue operations, to wit: "Vada a bordo, Cazzo!"

Schettino is being branded as Capitan Codardo or Captain Coward. I think his career as a ship's captain is toast.

A few images:

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
http://www.guardian.co.uk said:
As the ship slid between Giglio and the coast, passengers sitting down for their first dinner on board felt a shudder before the lights went out.

Despite an announcement that the ship had suffered no more than an electrical failure, diners became suspicious as their drinks began to tilt on the tables in front of them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/14/captain-arrested-italian-cruise-ship?newsfeed=true
that is quite an electrical failure...

·
Registered
853 Posts
If it wasn't for the loss of life the whole episode would be funny.

As it is, the Captain was with his glamorous floosie and managed to ''fall into a lifeboat'' before all his passengers were evacuated.

In Italy there are now t shirts (in Italian) saying : ''For f**** get back on board.'' This was the radio message from the Italian coastguard to the Captain as he had mysteriously ''fallen'' into a lifeboat somehow.

Tragic loss of life.

Caper

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
What a marooon. I've known that the captain stays with the ship since I was a little kid. I loved how the Italian Coast Guard officer chews him a new a-hole and orders him back on board, which the captain said he would do but didn't.

If they had an orchestra, maybe he would have stayed. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Maybe they'll team him up with the Joseph Hazelwood, Capt of the Exxon Valdez and do some sort of reality show....

H

·
0 Posts
Saphena my friend. He is one of those souls created by mother earth to blame, curse, hate and loath for years. Playing a violin whilst Rome burns, drunk in bed as the Exxon Valdez leaks oil into the sea and this guy is getting a little as his ship hits the rocks. See?
Doesn't seem like such a huge leap and the chick who swears he was a hero was the "woman".

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I reckon they should make him president.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My Father is a marine engineer and has sailed all his life and I have taken a few trips with him. One of the golden rules is never sail too close to the shore and maintain control of your vessel. The captain is responsible for the ship and all on board - period.

Rusty said it best in Gladiator "What you do in life will echo for all eternity" May God be with the missing and help all concerned with this disaster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts