Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good reasonably priced speedo/tach upgrade? I would like to go digital and get away from my giant innacurate current instrument cluster. What would be involved?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Some Links:

Koso North America

Electrosport

Personally I hate digital instruments, but it takes all kinds. If that's what you want then check out the above alternatives.

If you do plan on removing your analog stuff, let me know. I might be willing to downgrade. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I'm trying to figure out how to put this on my bike and make it clean.

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2007-02-10 03:30 ]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Take all that ***** off the back so it looks like a big spade hangin out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am trying to upgrade to digital and get rid of the analog looking for all componants to get the job done

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to keep it analog but its innacurate I would like digital for my peace of mind

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
There are two components regarding "digital" -

One is digital drive, where it is possible to still have an analogue (needle type) gauge; With respect to the drive signal, digital has nothing here to do with the display type, but the electrical signal generated (as opposed to the mechanical drive of the 97 - 01 models).

The other is to have a digital (numerical type) gauge itself (still needs digital drive of course)

It is still possible to have an extremely accurate anlogue display as long as it is an electrical digital driven unit (as below).

I did a conversion detailed here although it perhaps doesn't fall under your definition of "cost-effective"
When you consider a 'speedo healer' type calibration device (at $100 a pop) is pretty much necessary for even most OEM digital speedos to get something approaching accuracy the $300 cost of the Procycle with built-in calibration capability is not so bad after all.

Shameless plug, but I may consider selling my complete cluster - in the course of my Daytona motor swap I will be doing complete wiring harness change & most likely intergrating the 02+ speedo along with it (although I much prefer the analog gauges).

[ This message was edited by: DEcosse on 2007-02-10 19:33 ]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just checked out your thread detailing your GSXR 1000 front end swap. My friend has a 98 GSXR 600 he's gonna start parting out. You think that front end would fit on a 99 S3 995i?

·
Registered
210 Posts
On 2007-02-10 01:57, S32k1 wrote:
What would be a good reasonably priced speedo/tach upgrade? I would like to go digital and get away from my giant innacurate current instrument cluster. What would be involved?
I love the dancing needles, especially at night. They look great.

How much inaccuracy are you talking about?

I find mine to be pretty accurate. Although a digital temp-guage might be a good idea for engine.

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
On 2007-02-11 04:39, martinyoung wrote:
S32K1:

How inaccurate do you think the OE stuff is?

Why do you think digital will be better?
My original mechanical drive OEM was waaay off at indicated 80 mph was actually ~ 70mph - almost 15% error!!!! fekt the same as S32K1 - it really frustrated me being that far off.

I can calibrate the Procycle to be less than 1% or even better.

Anyone with an digital drive speedo can calibrate to be as accurate as they desire by adding a Yellow box or a Speedo Healer a ~ $100

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I like steam gauges myself and don't care how exact they are-as long as they are within the radar allowance given by the speed cops. Ever see a speedo in a race car?? Saw A.J. Foyt's Corvette at Sebring in 1963 and he had the tach taped over with a sign that said
"aw futz it" . We have electronic cut offs now. I am usually too busy to be looking at instruments when I really need to be looking at them, but I like having full instrumentation-digital or otherwise makes it more fun when you can look at them.

What does all this mean?? I don't know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts