Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought, private party, a stock '04 D600 for my first bike, and promptly managed to ruin her. Caught a handful of front brake, and made the ultimate noob err of turning-to-avoid simultaneously. Very low speed drop, but she slid up under the bumper of a stopped car; thereby damaging pretty much every piece of plastic on her. Dealer estimate calls her a total, but says frame, forks, and wheels are fine.

Any idea where insurance companies are claiming the value of an 04 D600 with under 8k miles lies? In the last six months I have not been able to find them on the free market for less than $4-5,000 in the condition she was in. I'm still waiting on word from the adjuster, and a bit worried they will try to lowball me. KBB is $3800 and NADA is $2,200, which I find ridiculous - who comes up with NADA value anyway?

Second question is related to aftermarket fairings. If I bought a set of upper and lower Sharkskinz how difficult would you imagine them to be to mount? I would paint them myself, and potentially mount them as well - what forseeable roadblocks could there be to mounting these? This is also the only aftermarket set I've found which appears to include the inner cowl, pre-drilled bolt holes, and pre-cut holes for the headlights. I imagine having to buy the mounting hardware from BikeBandit, but the pre-finished cockpit fairing alone runs just shy of $600. I can purchase a full upper and lower set - albeit unfinished - for as much.

Best case scenario she gets a Valmoto facelift with money left over for frame sliders and full service tuneup etc. Do I have my head in the clouds?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Me too

Destroyed my d600 yesterday evening ... i think my one has been hit even worser as the tank ripped open. I will keep you informed here on the forum when i get information on my bike. Mine was a 05er D600 with 11.000KM on the clock. Had her for one month :mad:

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
Sharkskinz fit very well and are very well made aftermarket plastics. They mount a little differently from stock, and you will have to drill for fasteners, but you can't get much better aftermarket plastic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sharkskinz fit very well and are very well made aftermarket plastics. They mount a little differently from stock, and you will have to drill for fasteners, but you can't get much better aftermarket plastic.
Outstanding, thanks for your input. Any particular fastener kit I should be looking for other than those used in stock plastics? How much does the mounting differ, other than drilling the fairing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recommend the Dzus fasteners. I have the sharkskinz on my D6 and they fit fairly well, but not perfect. The holes aren't perfectly lined up, but that is mostly due to poor drilling. Just take your time when you make the holes for the fasteners.

What I love about them is that they are easy to repair since they are fiberglass. Not sure if you ever ride 2up, but that's an issue since it's a solo seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I need an oil pressure sender.

However, I cannot find any for sale online anywhere. I can't even find a schematic with its location on the bike. Help?

Looks like I'm going to be able to keep the bike and have enough to put her back together in good time. Insurance originally wanted to use NADA to value the bike, as I had feared. Fortunately I was able to talk them up 148% thanks in no small part to information I've gleaned off these forums.

Edit: If I keep the bike, a perk of VA law prevents the title from being branded a salvage because it's older than '06.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikebandit.com will have the oil pressure sender. There's a 10% code if you click the BB banner.

Looked. Can't find. Used search keywords "oil" "pressure" "switch" and "sender" separately and even looked through schematics in case the search engine was broken. Nothing.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've opted to keep the bike. I saw someone wrote in these forums that keeping a D600 alive is a noble cause. Cool thing is, dealer says all it needs to get on the road is the oil pressure switch and duct tape :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you want just a standard plastics mounting hardware kit try bikeboltz.com. They have a site of U.S. ordering and U.K. ordering due to shipping tags and such. The heads of the bolts aren't as large as OEM which i found disappointing but they do work. As someone previously said Dzus are nice. They have some quick connect bolts that you push and twist, nice but can be pricey.

Someone stole my bike last summer so I did a lot of looking around for plastics as well. Shark Skinz were really one of the only sources I found but read good things about. I opted to sand and rattle can the entire thing instead until I can afford new plastics as the thief broke all many tabs off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ive got full sharkskinz on my bike except for the rear. they are awesome. as was previously stated, they are fiberglass so easy to work on. easy to mount too. Ive got Dzus bolts and love them, they make pulling fairings on and off extremely quick. thinking about getting the rear peice too since im having a bitch of a time finding a solo cowl. figure i can swap them out if i need to ride 2 up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive got full sharkskinz on my bike except for the rear. they are awesome. as was previously stated, they are fiberglass so easy to work on. easy to mount too. Ive got Dzus bolts and love them, they make pulling fairings on and off extremely quick. thinking about getting the rear peice too since im having a bitch of a time finding a solo cowl. figure i can swap them out if i need to ride 2 up.
What size Dzus fatteners you use for the sharkskinz? The ones I bought are too big.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts