Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Cortech GX Air vortex jacket for 6 months. I highly
recommend this jacket. The entire jacket is made of a breathable
material. It is lined with heavy jersey material and armor for
safety. It comes with a windproof/waterproof liner, that can actually
be worn alone, but is fitted to line the inside of the jacket. The
third liner is made of quilted thinsulate. Both liners zip into the
shell. YYK zippers are standard throughout for liners and securing
compartment closures. The windproof liner has a zipper closure with a
velcro flap to prevent wind/water from penetrating the zipper. So,
although water will penetrate the shell, it is stopped and shed by the
liner.

The shell has a zipper closure and a padded racing collar with
velcro fastner to secure the zipper and close the jacket comfortably
around the neck. There are adjustable fitting straps on the sleeves
and at the waist to snug it up and customize the fit based on the
liner use and your body shape.

This jacket does not starve you for organization space. There are two
zippered exterior pockets for convenient access, and are are the
perfect size for a wallet or a mobile phone. The zipper tags are just
the right size to manage with summer gloves on. Inside the shell
zipper opening is a map pocket, that is also handy for placing eyewear
or other low profile necessities. There are two inner breast velcro
closure pockets that are good size for storing either a mobile phone,
documents, mp3 player, radio, PDA, or other such gear.

The jacket is noticeable. It comes in several color schemes, and has
reflective cording and patches for higher visibility no matter what
time of day you are riding. It is very comfortable. I have used this
jacket in temperatures up to 80 degrees, and as low as freezing. It
is designed to work with the changing temperatures and elements that
you may face on your next ride. For instance, when I wear a t-shirt
under the jacket, the air goes right through the jacket and you don't
really notice that it is there. In other words, I couldn't have been
any cooler by only wearing the t-shirt, but it protects my upper body
from bugs, debris, and sun. The only problem I had was a place to
store the liners, then I discovered a velcro zip pouch along the small
of the back that will conveniently hold the liners as you remove them.

This is the best all around jacket that I have found. It is
comfortable, convenient, and the design is flawless and well thought
out for accomodating the rider needs.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Visit Cortech at their website.

Because of their careful attention to details and design, I am
currently looking at Cortech as an alternative supplier of sport luggage for my Triumph Sprint ST.

Ride Safe.

=ike=

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
+1

I've got a GX Air as well for hot-weather riding -- great jacket, and I don't feel any more vulnerable in it than in my leather jacket because it has leather panels and stout armor on the elbows and shoulders, plus a leather/padded spine protector.

I also have the matching armored mesh pants. Also great quality.

I also have a Cortech Coaster leather jacket and matching Decker leather pants.

I'm very pleased with all of it. Highly recommended.

--mark

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Man, I have Cortech pants (Apex leather), two of their jackets (Coaster for general riding and cold weather, Impulse II to go with the pants for track days), and two models of their gloves (Cold Front Carbon for winter and Accelerator for summer).

I like all their stuff. But the first version of the GX looked a little too much like a Starfleet uniform for my taste, so I got an Icon T-Max (okay, so I went with Gundam Warrior over Next Gen).

The current GX air is sweet, with the leather in the right places. When they go on closeout, I'll pick one up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How does the Air GX do at cooler temps? Not frigid temps obviously, but with both of the liners in the jacket and a long-sleeved shirt underneath, can one ride at 50 degrees Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
On 2007-03-13 21:48, crash wrote:
How does the Air GX do at cooler temps? Not frigid temps obviously, but with both of the liners in the jacket and a long-sleeved shirt underneath, can one ride at 50 degrees Fahrenheit?
I haven't tried it because I have other jackets to wear in cool temps, but if you wear a sweatshirt or a fleece vest or something along with having the liners in the jacket, I should think you'd be perfectly comfortable.

--mark

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have Cortech saddle bags and a tank bag. No problems, except they're not exactly waterproof.

G

·
I am new to the forum but I also have one of their jackets. I love it, infact I was in a wreck a couple of weeks ago with it on. I flew over fifty feet through the air to eat pavement. The jacket barely has a scuff on it. And my torso as well as my arms did not suffer any injuries. I highly recommend their jackets and they stand up pretty well to cooler temperaters too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I wear this jacket on my 5am morning commute in San Diego @ 50 F and I stay relatively warm hands get real cold though brrrr... also I got caught in a morning rainstorm and arrived at work with my whole upper body dry... remove the liner for my drive home though... Warms up kinda fast in SD Highly recommend to anybody.... but I wouldn't wear it in much colder temps.. maybe 35 at lowest.

·
Registered
470 Posts
+1 on the GX Air. I got the black with white trim which looks great with my black/opal Bonnie. As mentioned, the leather pieces make you feel pretty protected and even the back armor feels substantial. From mesh + the waterproof liner + the thermal liner, it's an all season winner. BTW, I also LOVE the DSX denim jacket. Similar armor and only 99 bucks.

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-03-13 21:48, crash wrote:
I've ridden at 35F with additional clothing layers (tshirt and a sweatshirt) or a first layer shirt and a crue neck under this jacket.

I am very comfortable at 50F with a first layer long sleeve shirt and the jacket with both liners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2007-03-22 22:27, yakoo11 wrote:
I wear this jacket on my 5am morning commute in San Diego @ 50 F and I stay relatively warm hands get real cold though brrrr... also I got caught in a morning rainstorm and arrived at work with my whole upper body dry... remove the liner for my drive home though... Warms up kinda fast in SD Highly recommend to anybody.... but I wouldn't wear it in much colder temps.. maybe 35 at lowest.
Try using microwavable hand warmers. Place them on your forearms to warm the blood going to your hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts