Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to change out the blue mobil antifreeze. I can not find it in the USA. So what is the equivalent replacement coolant ?:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , I have the Factory manual and had bought some ICE for it but have not switched yet. I had read some problems with corrosion issues and was hesitant to change anything until I had more info.:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was under the impression that the stock coolant was nothing more than blue-tinted, inorganic ethylene glycol that needed to be changed every three years. Is any of that true?

My 05 Rocket's water pump started leaking about 6 months ago. I replaced the O-ring and it sealed right up. I ended up refilling the system with G05 coolant. I can't recall now all the reasons why I decided to run that coolant, but I knew that I wanted an extended drain coolant that was compatible with a system that used to run normal inorganic ethylene glycol. I'm not saying that G05 is compatible with inorganic ethylene glycol, but as I recall G05 still has some silicates which are normally incompatible with organic coolants due to the organic coolant's acidic nature, but since G05 is pH neutral it has no affect on the silicates. So from what I gathered, the silicate "plating" from the old coolant or the little bit of old coolant that didn't get drained shouldn't reduce the effectiveness or longevity of the G05 coolant.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Yeah, I know the chemical definition of inorganic. That's how come I'm wondering how ethylene glycol can ever be inorganic. :D

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
It is not organic.......

ETHYLENE GLYCOL

1. Product Identification

Synonyms: 1,2-Ethanediol; glycol; 1,2-Dihydroxyethane; Ethylene Alcohol; Ethulene Dihydrate
CAS No.: 107-21-1
Molecular Weight: 62.07
Chemical Formula: CH2OHCH2OH
Product Codes:
J.T. Baker: 5387, 5845, 9140, 9298, 9300, 9346, 9356, L715
Mallinckrodt: 5001, 5037

2. Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient CAS No Percent Hazardous 3. Hazards IdentificationEmergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC SKIN REACTION. MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 2 - Moderate (Life)
Flammability Rating: 1 - Slight
Reactivity Rating: 1 - Slight
Contact Rating: 3 - Severe (Life)
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES & SHIELD; LAB COAT & APRON; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Green (General Storage)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Vapor inhalation is generally not a problem unless heated or misted. Exposure to vapors over an extended time period has caused throat irritation and headache. May cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and drowsiness. Pulmonary edema and central nervous system depression may also develop. When heated or misted, has produced rapid, involuntary eye movement and coma.
Ingestion:
Initial symptoms in massive dosage parallel alcohol intoxication, progressing to CNS depression, vomiting, headache, rapid respiratory and heart rate, lowered blood pressure, stupor, collapse, and unconsciousness with convulsions. Death from respiratory arrest or cardiovascular collapse may follow. Lethal dose in humans: 100 ml (3-4 ounces).
Skin Contact:
Minor skin irritation and penetration may occur.
Eye Contact:
Splashes may cause irritation, pain, eye damage.
Chronic Exposure:
Repeated small exposures by any route can cause severe kidney problems. Brain damage may also occur. Skin allergy can develop. May damage the developing fetus.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
Persons with pre-existing skin disorders, eye problems, or impaired liver, kidney, or respiratory function may be more susceptible to the effects of this substance.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
It's certainly not grown on an "organic" farm, Lee, but chemically speaking all alcohols are as organic as you can get, because of the carbon bonds. In this case:
CH2OHCH2OH
Of course, "organic" in the chemical sense doesn't mean harmless! All petroleum products are organic. So are all snake venoms, fungus toxins, ricin, and lots of other things you wouldn't want to ingest if you enjoy living.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
It has to do with the corrosion inhibitors, not the ethylene glycol itself.
Precisely. There is no such thing as inorganic ethylene glycol.

Therefore, let's simply specify aluminum-safe anticorrosion additives and avoid confusion. :)

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
It's certainly not grown on an "organic" farm, Lee, but chemically speaking all alcohols are as organic as you can get, because of the carbon bonds. In this case:
CH2OHCH2OH
Of course, "organic" in the chemical sense doesn't mean harmless! All petroleum products are organic. So are all snake venoms, fungus toxins, ricin, and lots of other things you wouldn't want to ingest if you enjoy living.
absolutely correct, but oraganic can be a misleading term. Many pets die drinking puddles of it (Sweet taste). But you are correct the venom of a snake could be construed as organic.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up using Engine Ice. I followed their recommendation to flush the system with white vinegar and distilled water first and then refill the system with Engine Ice. After going for a hour ride in the high seventies I checked my engine oil temp it was a good 14-18 degrees lower than it usually is in these temperatures. With no water temp gauge it will be hard to quantify their claim of decreasing the coolant system temp by 50 degrees. We shall see once summer is here and I hit traffic in the 90's with high humidity!:)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Skid, you're making a lot of assumptions that don't necessarily (pardon the pun) hold water. Colder is not always better, first of all. Second, if merely changing coolant can really mean things are running cooler, then what have you done with your thermostat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
web site info , you judge

Engine Ice

High performance coolant, non-toxic and biodegradable formulation proven to reduce operating temperatures by as much as 50¢ªF
Road race legal in AMA, CCS and FUSA road racing sanctions
Antifreeze product with freeze protection down to -26 degrees F
Tested and proven non-corrosive on even the most exotic metals
For use in all types of liquid cooled enginesThis just may be the most unbelievable product you have ever used; Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is here!

Everyone wants better performance and our racing, riding and driving areas are diminishing because ecologists constantly claim we damage or permanently ruin the surrounding lands.

WE HAVE THE ANSWER!

Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is biodegradable, phosphate free & non-toxic; while reducing operating race temperatures by as much as 50°F and effectively keeping boil over temperatures to 256 °F or less and freeze-up protection to -27° F.

Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is premixed with de-ionized water to protect your water cooling system from scarring, scaling and to effectively provide "prolonged optimum operating temperatures."

"Right out of the bottle" Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is "ecologically safer" than regular coolants for wildlife and the environment. What's even more amazing is that it works far better than most any other engine coolant on the market.

Because of Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant's non-toxic phosphate-free formula, it's even safer for people and pets too!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Now, after removing the pricing come-on and other unrelated ad copy from the post, I still have to ask my original question again, plus one more: what has engine operating temperature to do with ecologists and the damaging of land? Huge leaps of illogic in that ad!

Back to the subject... why do you think you need the engine to run cooler? Are you having actual problems with overheating?

If not, have you removed your thermostat for some reason or has it stuck open? That's the only way you should be seeing much of a difference. The whole point of the thermostat is to maintain temperature within a certain range. Swapping coolants alone will not change the temperature at which the thermostat operates.

Nor should it. The engineers selected and machined all the internal parts of the powerplant to fit together optimally within a certain operating temperature range. Running cooler than the design parameters does not help anything. "Magic" coolants are only needed in situations where you can't otherwise keep the system dissipating heat well enough to maintain the target temperature.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How can ethylene glycol be "inorganic"?
It isn't. Triumph recommends HOAT coolant (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant. It's based on ethylene glycol. I know almost nothing about chemistry so I don't want to get into a debate. I'm just going by the owner's manual.

From a late model Rocket owner's manual:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts