Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The signs are for speed cameras not Automatic Number Plate Recognition . Watch any of the police documentary programs and you will eventually see how they work . The ones in cars alert the officer to any vehicle that may be of interest ( that's for anything ) the stationary cameras alert the call centre which can then send a car in that direction .

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I reckon you're kidding yourself if you think they signpost all the cameras.
Depends where in London you are I guess. Speed cameras are all signposted in the places I ride. And when I've been leaving London via the A10 I have seen loads of signs about ANPR cameras too.

I don't suppose it matters though. My bike is not of interest, as Hedgepig says, so I only tend to worry about the speed cameras.

The ones in cars alert the officer to any vehicle that may be of interest ( that's for anything ) the stationary cameras alert the call centre which can then send a car in that direction .
Maybe it's just me, but the routes I ride I don't tend to see police cars around. Not unless they have their lights on as they are rushing to a crime scene to catch some bad guys. Maybe I would if I went more central but I tend to avoid central London like the plague.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Tom Hanks survived 4 years on an island as a castaway
He spent a year in an airport without being able to leave
Caught AIDS in Philadelphia
He was in World War II and rescued Private Ryan;
He went to Vietnam and rescued Lieutenant Dan
Was on a boat kidnapped by Somali pirates
Survived Apollo 13 trying to reach the Moon
Landed a Boeing on the Hudson River
✈

If that son of a bitch dies of coronavirus, we are ALL screwed!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
By everyone do you mean " the donald " ? I'm just happy our glorious leader isn't Germy Corbin you only have to remember the hash Tony Bleurgh made of Foot and Mouth .
When we had foot and mouth back in the 1960's they had people with guns shooting anything that went near the carcasses before and whilst they were being buried, to stop any further contamination. Tony Blair wanted to take all our guns away and also didn't take the same precautions with the burials. The labour party under Jeremy Corbin has been the conservatives best reason for getting into power again, even with Boris at the helm!. When will we get trustworthy and sensible politicians of any party?

As for trump, that is best left for our American buddies to say about.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
In the 60's we lost our entire milk herd to it . In 2001 by then out of farming we were surrounded by the bonfires of carcasses . At least I rolled the compo from my race guns over into race bikes .

·
Registered
317 Posts
The aftermath of the Dunblane fiasco was a terrible thing to happen to normal legitimate shooters. Blair hid the truth for a hundred years. I took up serious rifle shooting afterwards at Bisley. When I handed in my pistols to the local centre (Bournemouth police station) it was as if I was a child molester because of the bad publicity we got. And some stupid MP said afterwards "thats taken the guns off the streets" as if we were the bad guys. Of course since then the gun crime rate has soared, something that the politicians and police try to cover up. "Come the revolution brother" trouble is we are getting too old now to do much about it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
And some stupid MP said afterwards "thats taken the guns off the streets" as if we were the bad guys. Of course since then the gun crime rate has soared, something that the politicians and police try to cover up.
Too right!

I'm clearly a bit younger than you boys, I was 15 when they banned handguns, and remember standing in front of my class at school and telling them why I thought it was the wrong thing to do. A lot of my classmates thought I was mad. Another example of ignorant townies passing laws with no idea how it might affect people's livelihoods.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I think that means I'm the youngest guy on the thread, as I don't ever remember guns being legal in the UK.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I see you have "urban" in your username - to clarify my previous post I wasn't calling all people who live in towns ignorant ;)(y)

...mainly the politicians

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think that means I'm the youngest guy on the thread, as I don't ever remember guns being legal in the UK.
1997 guns were banned in the UK, news to me too I must have been living under a bush since 1968 cause I didn't realise that they were legal in the UK either!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I see you have "urban" in your username - to clarify my previous post I wasn't calling all people who live in towns ignorant ;)(y)

...mainly the politicians
To be honest, so many comments, I didn't even see that! 😂 But, if I had, I wouldn't have taken it personally.

1997 guns were banned in the UK, news to me too I must have been living under a bush since 1968 cause I didn't realise that they were legal in the UK either!
Really? 97? Well, there you go. I know that farmers and the elite who go fox hunting have access to guns, but other than that I thought they had been banned since the 60s or 70s or something.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The 1968 firearms act allowed the use, with good reason, of both pistols and rifles, shotguns came under a different easier to obtain licence. After the Dunblane fiasco our cartridge firing pistols were taken off us and we were "compensated". I still had my muzzle loading pistols which were not covered in that "robbery". It was one of the reasons I now live in Spain, although their laws are more stricter than the UK, I do now have some pistols again for target shooting, something I enjoy as much as my motorbikes. All of which cannot be used at the minute because of the lockdown. Bloody coronavirus.

Incidentally, that was another thing Blair banned, fox hunting with dogs. They can still hunt using fake scents etc but not officially catch foxes, which having seen what they can do if they get into a chicken run, I would shoot any I saw.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Incidentally, that was another thing Blair banned, fox hunting with dogs. They can still hunt using fake scents etc but not officially catch foxes, which having seen what they can do if they get into a chicken run, I would shoot any I saw.
I understand the need to have some sort of 'control' over fox and the like, I say that with a heavy heart because I'm an animal lover and hate seeing any sort of harm caused to any of gods creatures other than human beings. I just think that Fox hunting as a sport is a barbaric pastime that needed to be banned. I'm no Blairite, I think he's a smarmy git who has blood on his hands, but then politicians on the whole can't be trusted no matter which political party they represent.

I will just add that I was brought up in the countryside and was forced to witness fox hunting when I was a kid and the whole experience sickened me. So I'm not saying this as some sort of lefty town dweller, although I do live in a town now but hanker after the countryside often.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You are so right there, when he was interviewed by the parliamentary commission into the Gulf War you could see the bastard was lying. Later they will no doubt make him a lord!
When you see the blighters who sit on horses and "ride to hounds" then I agree with you about fox hunting. Stuck up Horray Henry's most of them, or social climbing types. I've once had run in with the New Forest Hunt after almost hitting the pack of hounds in the middle of the road, round a blind bend, without any warning signs etc. That was back in the 1970's but the same type of people are still doing it. There are some genuine ones but not many it would seem.
Yes it does bring much needed income to the rural community as does shooting, and from a distance they look good in "Hunting Pink" red coats to you and I. But thats about all.

81 - 100 of 180 Posts