Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went through the stage of bolting shiny bits onto various bikes. Looks nice but most of the time it only made my bank account go quicker ! Now I think mainly about better comfort or road holding items or bike protection.
I can only ride as fast as I can think.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Unless the modification bug doesn't get in to you first, it sounds like you've got the early symptoms already ;)
I think you can only call it a bug if I continue doing things once I've completed my original list

·
Registered
129 Posts
;)Agree, but it is when the List keeps getting longer
:p and you keep hearing that little voice saying "Buy me". ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
That's why I spent two years making the list. To stop any temptation of it getting bigger.

Just watch. After all my talk and bold statements, a year from now I'll have added 5 new things to the list, because "they were essential" 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Just been told by my brother all cars for MOT test have to sit for 6 ( SIX ) hours before tester can commence MOT test . No way around this as they have to log car on to MOT web site and then wait before going about the test . Not sure how this may affect motor cycles .

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Just been told by my brother all cars for MOT test have to sit for 6 ( SIX ) hours before tester can commence MOT test . No way around this as they have to log car on to MOT web site and then wait before going about the test . Not sure how this may affect motor cycles .
You guys in England mention MOT tests frequently, I know it doesnt apply to me here in the US but what the hell is that?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You guys in England mention MOT tests frequently, I know it doesnt apply to me here in the US but what the hell is that?
Ministry Of Transport , from three years old your vehicle has to be inspected so that they know it is in suitable condition to be used on the public highway . Lights all work , brakes , suspension etc .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sort of like the brake and light test we had in Virginia when I lived there, but far more extensive and thorough.

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is that something that has changed in the past 6 weeks? I had one of my cars tested in February and it certainly was not the case then.

Alan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Here's a link with a lot more in-depth information

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Sort of like the brake and light test we had in Virginia when I lived there, but far more extensive and thorough.

Alan

I thought it must be something like that, in Iowa we used to have to(back in the 70's) do something similar to sell an auto, bike .........didn't last long, it didn't take long to find the filling station/repair shop/car dealer(inspections done by private business) that was easy/relaxed on the inspections, became a joke and disappeared.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
In the UK, it can only be done at approved test centres. Results are logged online, which is linked to Road tax system. And traffic cameras will cross reference number plates with the database, so if you're out riding without an MOT you will get caught and fined. Only needs to be done once a year though and the test takes about 45 mins, so not too bad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
And don't forget the police cars with NPR to catch you as well .
We don't have them in London. But we have cameras everywhere. Big Brother is definitely watching.

* Edit *
I needed to top up my groceries a little. Knowing that my local Sainsburys and Tescos are still not restricted, and because the sun was shining, I decided to do a 20 mile ride trip from central(ish) London up to Barnet to an Aldi near the garage I used to take my old bike to.

And, they had stuffa Shelves filled with actual food! They have instituted a policy that you can only but a maximum of 4 of each product, which I think supermarkets should have done earlier.

They didn't have everything I wanted, so, taking the long route home, I went to my local Sainsburys to pick up the last few items.

The roads are dead. All the shops I passed were closed, except those selling groceries. No pedestrians, except the occasionally jogger brand shopper. It was actually a little spooky. Loved every minute of it.

Just come back from a jog myself and will be doing some weights later, then playing PS4 again.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We don't have them in London. But we have cameras everywhere. Big Brother is definitely watching
I think you'll find that you do have ANPR cameras, the bloody things are everywhere including some fuel stations and supermarket car parks. Also the old bill have got them fitted in their cars, so have those highway enforcement fellas that's how they can do an instant database search when they're following you to see if you are legal. Times have changed a lot from just getting a five or seven day wonder that made you take your doc's to the local police station.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I think you'll find that you do have ANPR cameras
Sorry I meant police cars with cameras. I know we have NPR's. They're bloody everywhere. But at least they are nice enough to posts signs, so you have a general understanding of which areas have them the most

61 - 80 of 168 Posts