Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
You are lucky to be able to still use your bikes, here in Spain its on lockdown with only essential journeys possible, using my bike to go shopping would be a joke and most likely cause me to get a fine for joyriding.
Both bikes will have to stay in the garage for the foreseeable future.
Big Brother is here, and things will get worse long before they get better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know how riding will play here in NJ and NY states. Both states are locked down pretty much. Some exceptions for travel, one being to visit family. As with all these broad brush restrictions, very hard to figure what is safe and (now) legal to do. Motorcycling is clearly self-isolating. I'd keep gloves and helmet on for refueling. Should be do-able, unless they crack down hard on travel. For me, it is as yet academic. My new-to-me used Sprint GT is sitting at a used bike dealer's showroom in CT. Planning to pick it up in 10 days or so, if they're allowed to stay open. Won't know til next week. Scary times for sure.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
You are lucky to be able to still use your bikes, here in Spain its on lockdown with only essential journeys possible, using my bike to go shopping would be a joke and most likely cause me to get a fine for joyriding.
Both bikes will have to stay in the garage for the foreseeable future.
Big Brother is here, and things will get worse long before they get better.
My bike is my main/only mode of transport. So, if essential travel is permitted (if we get to it) then I will still be out on Penny.

Plus, please remember that not all of us are lucky enough to have garages. Very annoying giving Penny a wash, getting her nice and clean, and then it starts raining an hour later!😡

·
Registered
490 Posts
I live pretty rural here in the west of Ireland. My nearest shop is 7 miles away so going for food is an essential journey. Being on the bike is fine it’s when you have to stop for stuff that requires some thought.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My bike is my main/only mode of transport. So, if essential travel is permitted (if we get to it) then I will still be out on Penny.

Plus, please remember that not all of us are lucky enough to have garages. Very annoying giving Penny a wash, getting her nice a nd clean, and then it starts raining an hour later!😡
If you're using yer bike every day you'll soon get pissed off with cleaning it. I've been riding for around 35 years now, me and a mate used to build chops and the like with all the polished ally and shiny bits, you can spend hours cleaning all the little parts getting it nice and shiny and as soon as you take it out it pisses down with rain and all that hard work was for nothing. I washed my bike once last year.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If you're using yer bike every day you'll soon get pissed off with cleaning it. I've been riding for around 35 years now, me and a mate used to build chops and the like with all the polished ally and shiny bits, you can spend hours cleaning all the little parts getting it nice and shiny and as soon as you take it out it pisses down with rain and all that hard work was for nothing. I washed my bike once last year.
Part of the custom project is to remove as much of the chromed out stuff as possible and replace it with black parts. That will definitely help with the cleaning.
Although, I'm not too concerned about keeping her shiny all the time. She works for a living, so getting her clean is a treat to indulge in (during the wetter months). With my last bike I think I washed her 4 times over the Summer. She pretty much looked like new most of the time.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Catastrophe averted, I've just read in the news that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are thinking about us. We can all stop panicking now knowing that the Royal family are safely tucked away in their castles and palaces receiving the best medical care that money can buy. I feel much happier about this virus now.
Personally I would rather the bloody Royal family would keep their gob's shut at times like these!:mad:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I started riding bikes back in the 1960's and in this days we washed and polished our pride and joys on a regular basis, (normally on a Sunday) what ever the weather, in those days it was my only means of transport as well. When you earnt very little money for long hours working in all weathers you appreciated what your means of transport was, not many people bought new bikes in those days. My first road legal one, at 16, using most of my childhood savings, was an 18 month old Tiger Cub, the worst bike I ever owned, after that 6 and 7 year old ones were the norm with a 1954 BSA M33 (500cc single) combination added into the mix after a bad accident ruined my AJS. Because of this I have always washed and polished my bikes, the Bonny cost so much it needs to be kept pristine, my first house cost less! But each to their own, if you are happy to let your bike depreciate quicker that's up to you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I started riding bikes back in the 1960's and in this days we washed and polished our pride and joys on a regular basis, (normally on a Sunday) what ever the weather, in those days it was my only means of transport as well. When you earnt very little money for long hours working in all weathers you appreciated what your means of transport was, not many people bought new bikes in those days. My first road legal one, at 16, using most of my childhood savings, was an 18 month old Tiger Cub, the worst bike I ever owned, after that 6 and 7 year old ones were the norm with a 1954 BSA M33 (500cc single) combination added into the mix after a bad accident ruined my AJS. Because of this I have always washed and polished my bikes, the Bonny cost so much it needs to be kept pristine, my first house cost less! But each to their own, if you are happy to let your bike depreciate quicker that's up to you.
When you ride every day to commute in manky wet weather then washing yer bike on a sunday is a waste of time cause monday morning when it's pissing down with rain it's going to get covered in s**t again. I don't for one minute think not washing the thing will have anything to do with the value of it as long as everything else is well maintained. I'm sure things are a whole lot different in sunny Spain, in Britain it pisses down most of the year.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
May I also add that I very much doubt the modern classics range from Triumph will ever be worth a premium price. They definitely won't be worth as much as an original Bonneville from the 1960s.

However, as long as the bike is well maintained and mechanically sound, I don't think washing it regularly or not will have any effect on price when it comes time to sell it (not that I plan on ever selling Penny).

·
Registered
610 Posts
There's also a big difference in material finishes these days, everything's a lot more durable than it was back in the olden days. There are parts that will corrode and what have you but even these are easy and cheap enough to re-coat or replace. If like me you don't spend to much buying said motorcycle then you're not to bothered about the thing getting a bit grubby. As with you Mr Urbandread I rely on my bike to commute on and as with your good self I don't have the luxury of a garage to store it in either, it lives under a cover in my garden overnight and in all winds and weathers in my company's car park during the day. I've never lost money when selling a bike on because I don't pay to much for it in the first place. My last bike was a Yamaha 650 which cost me £2000, I had it for 3 years and never washed it, I like the grubby look, a van driver knocked me off and the insurance paid out £2200 plus a rental Honda for a couple of months! £200 profit and no money spent on cleaning equipment.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I don't think I could never wash my bike, but I'm not obsessive over it either. I only spent about 10 mins washing her yesterday. I didn't get in all the nooks and crannies, because I don't want a show quality bike. Would make it too attractive to thieves if nothing else.

I am enjoying customising/modifying her, slowly getting her looking the way I want. It's funny, one of the security guards at work was having a smoke in the carpark on Frifay and later commented that the exhausts have a couple rust spots on them. I know they're there, but not stressing as I'll be getting a 2-into-1 stainless steel replacement at some point. Although the rust spots just further highlights why I want to get rid of all the shiny chrome parts. But all in good time.

For now, Penny is parked in her usual spot, on the road outside my house. Waiting for the exhaust to cool down before I go put the cover on her.

·
Registered
610 Posts
It is an each to there own thing I suppose, I just got sick to death of trying to keep on top of it. My bikes got a couple of rusty bits here and there and a few marks and scratches but the dirt hides most of it :rolleyes:. I try not to spend to much on replacement parts other than service items, but if something I need comes up cheap enough second hand I'll buy it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah. If you own a vehicle and use it regularly, rust happens. The parts I'm getting is partially because of the aesthetics (blacked out rather than chrome) and partially economical (they make the bike lighter, which will make it ride better and be better on fuel). I have no plans on retuning or re-jetting another or messing a out with air boxes. A Bonneville has 53bhp. It's not a fast bike and is never going to be a fast bike. It's about being comfortable and enjoying the journey, whether that a short trip to the shops, a commute to work or a weekend ride.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah. If you own a vehicle and use it regularly, rust happens. The parts I'm getting is partially because of the aesthetics (blacked out rather than chrome) and partially economical (they make the bike lighter, which will make it ride better and be better on fuel). I have no plans on retuning or re-jetting another or messing a out with air boxes. A Bonneville has 53bhp. It's not a fast bike and is never going to be a fast bike. It's about being comfortable and enjoying the journey, whether that a short trip to the shops, a commute to work or a weekend ride.
I agree, I'm not a fan of engine mods, as long as the bike starts runs fine and stops that's enough for me. If I wanted to go faster then I would have bought a more powerful bike. I get what your saying about fitting parts for the aesthetics, It's something I used to do when I started riding, then it sort of progressed to re-sprays, frame mods and re-building bikes for the hell of it. These days now I'm married with a family I'm just happy to tinker now and again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If I wanted to go faster then I would have bought a more powerful bike.
EXACTLY. If I wanted a fast bike I would have bought a Street Triple or something as they're fast right out of the box.

I get what your saying about fitting parts for the aesthetics, It's something I used to do when I started riding, then it sort of progressed to re-sprays, frame mods and re-building bikes for the hell of it. These days now I'm married with a family I'm just happy to tinker now and again.
I still technically have only just started riding. Less than two months on Penny and only 2 years on a 125cc and that's it. So the fun to be had with mods is still very new to me. I already know that I don't want/will not chop, gring or wield anything; I'm sticking strictly to bolt-on parts. The two years I was on my 125cc I spent it researching online for inspiration and making a list of mods/parts. So, now I have Penny, I know exactly what I want to do. Once finished I will leave her be, barring accidents.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I already know that I don't want/will not chop, gring or wield anything; I'm sticking strictly to bolt-on parts. The two years I was on my 125cc I spent it researching online for inspiration and making a list of mods/parts. So, now I have Penny, I know exactly what I want to do. Once finished I will leave her be
Unless the modification bug doesn't get in to you first, it sounds like you've got the early symptoms already ;)

41 - 60 of 180 Posts