Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding for several years now, and this question has always lingered in the back of my mind. Instead of pushing to turn, I will pull on the opposite handle instead. For instance, instead of pushing left to turn left, i will pull right to turn left. Can this have implications on any sort of emergency response, or hold any sort of adverse effect? I don't know why I do it, it's just what I've always been comfortable with. Anyone else corner like this? I'm wondering if I should really force myself to break the habit, or if it's six or one half dozen the other. Thanks for the input, and putting up with my odd question! Cheers!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I don't think it's a bad habit, can't see it makes much difference if you're pulling on one side of the bars or pushing on the other, whatever you feel comfortable with. I know for hazard avoidance or other situations where you need a fast change of direction some people advocate doing both.

Pushing on the inside bar has always felt more comfortable to me because everything is then focused on the direction I'm trying to turn, move my upper body to the left, turn my head to the left and push on the left bar.
Also coming from a sports bike background were you could be hanging off the bike more with your upper body, you're outside arm will be stretched out across the tank so if you needed to Tighten your line mid corner it would be easier pushing with your inside arm.

The other reason for me is that when I first passed my test I rode with my hands gripping the bars and I found my arms could tense up and grab the bars tight if I was worried i was approaching a corner too fast or something, this would actually stop me countersteering and make the situation worse.
I found it was better for me to ride with just the palm of my hands on the bars and my fingers resting on the top of the levers most of the time, especially if I'm doing any serious cornering, that way even in a tense situation I only have to remember push left to go left, push right to go right.

The grips on the Thruxton I find are too small for my hands so it's not comfortable for me to grab the bars anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I've been riding for several years now, and this question has always lingered in the back of my mind. Instead of pushing to turn, I will pull on the opposite handle instead. For instance, instead of pushing left to turn left, i will pull right to turn left. Can this have implications on any sort of emergency response, or hold any sort of adverse effect? I don't know why I do it, it's just what I've always been comfortable with. Anyone else corner like this? I'm wondering if I should really force myself to break the habit, or if it's six or one half dozen the other. Thanks for the input, and putting up with my odd question! Cheers!
I'm experienced but no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but my only concern would be body stability. With the push method you're a little more braced against the bars whereas when pulling, not as much. This probably wouldn't affect your regular riding but in an emergency it may.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yah I'll echo CafRacer here, it really is a matter of ergos, and also 'body language' when doing a push vs pull action. I learnt to ride on older sportbikes with short clipon bars, and the action of moving your head 'inside' the centerline to look thru the corner also had my inside hand pushing as a natural thing.

What I would advise, is practice BOTH maneuvers, push inside and pull outside. Do this with either hand, so that you can effectively control the bike with one hand on your hip. The idea here is to reinforce muscle memory so that you're not just using one body part to control the machine, but several in concert. That will help cement your reflexes and muscle memory for when you need to dodge a crate ("Push, or pull?" doesn't even come up.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice all! Makes sense from a stability standpoint. I mostly ride around town, and haven't taken my bike to the track or anything, so I've never really had to aggressively push into a corner. I think what I'll do is use this as another great excuse to hit some highways and just practice more until it becomes muscle memory when I'm at higher speeds. Gerhard, even when I'm sitting at the computer your theory makes a whole lot of sense to me. I'm holding my arm out, and when I look right, I notice my right arm instinctively pushing forward ever so slightly as my head turns, more so than my left would pull back. Maybe I've always been more inclined like this, but just haven't noticed due to normally being restricted to city speeds and am pretty much riding upright the whole time.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I’ve been riding for over 50 yrs now so it’s pretty much instinct now. If i think what i do when turning its sliding my arse to the direction of the turn, weighting the foot peg also direction of turn and pulling up bars opposite side. Sharper the turn the more arse into turn. And always looking thru the turn. Eyes where you want to go and thats where the bike goes.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I’ve been riding for over 50 yrs now so it’s pretty much instinct now. If i think what i do when turning its sliding my arse to the direction of the turn, weighting the foot peg also direction of turn and pulling up bars opposite side. Sharper the turn the more arse into turn. And always looking thru the turn. Eyes where you want to go and thats where the bike goes.
Oh, and knee down if feeling more lean but really not necessary on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Good advice above. I would just emphasize the relaxed grip. Don't squeeze tight pushing or pulling.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Either way, you are counter-steering. I tend to push on the bars to initiate the turn and only pull when I need some EXTRA oomph, like in a series of fast chicanes where you need to change directions quickly. I find it to be a little more efficient to push on the bar then pull on it but I wouldn't determine that it's a bad habit as long as you feel you can get the bike turned quickly and effectively.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts