Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had pretty much decided to get a Corbin smuggler for my new Bonneville but now I'm not sure. I searched this forum and came up with several horror stories from a couple of years ago about the seats not fitting, paint problems and horrible customer service.

Has Corbin fixed this?

Specifically, people were having to shim up the backs of the seats to get them to bolt on. Leaving the backs higher than they should be. Has anyone recently purchased a smuggler? What has your experience been?

Paint matching shouldn't be an issue with me because I want it all black.

I am looking for some reassurances that things are better (and the seat will fit perfectly) before I lay out the big bucks for an international order. Last thing I want is to get into a fight with a manufacturer when long distance shipping is involved.

Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well this thread went over like the proverbial lead balloon. Sixty nine hits and no responses. So either Corbin has cleaned up their act and the seats fit perfectly and they have gread customer relations... or... nobody has bought a Corbin smuggler seat recently. I have had one PM about this, but I would still be interested in hearing your experience with Corbin.
Don't worry... if there are still no responses I will drop the thread.

·
30,523 Posts
I haven't tried a smuggler, but both of my Corbin GF and L seats fit just fine. On one, I put washers between the seat and rear bracket to space it better, and also had to open up one bolt hole a little bit - other than that it fit fine. That particular seat dates from about 2001.

The newer seat goes on just fine as is.

They both look the same when fitted.

To be honest - if all you have to do is stick washers under the bracket, that isn't a big deal. Annoying though it is when you just splashed out 800 bucks.

I ultimately would like one of those smugglers. :cool: And when the situation arises will not let the potential shimming aspect put me off.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest - if all you have to do is stick washers under the bracket, that isn't a big deal. Annoying though it is when you just splashed out 800 bucks.

I ultimately would like one of those smugglers. :cool: And when the situation arises will not let the potential shimming aspect put me off.
Thanks Prop. I agree that I can live with doing a bit of shimming. But you are right... for $800 - or over $1000 CDN - I'd expect them to come and fit it for me. ;) But those smugglers sure lood good!

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
To be honest I was never a fan of the Corbin smugglers, but more recently I'm coming around. Saw the one on Thrux-up's and think it looks great.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks Prop. I agree that I can live with doing a bit of shimming. But you are right... for $800 - or over $1000 CDN - I'd expect them to come and fit it for me. ;) But those smugglers sure lood good!
I don't believe Corbin uses an injection molding process to make their seat pans as the stock pan is... so there will be minor variances in them.... It's really no big deal to shim the mounting bracket...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Smuggler

I ordered a smuggler (for my Scrambler) and should have it in a few weeks. When I placed my order, I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks as all smugglers are special order. This is week 7 and when I called to check on it last week, the rep asked which white was used on my 6 model (made me wonder what would have happened if I had not called).

I'll let you know how it goes---------

Mr.T

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
My corbin seat fitted no problems on my Thruxton 2004 - about 3 months old now. The seat pan is likely to be the same as for the smuggler. I found the service at their California workshop to be fine when I went for the fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
My wife has one on her 06 Bonnie. Fit and finish are impeccable - and the paint match is IDENTICAL. Looks awesome, and she tells me it's a LOT more comfortable than stock.

Pricey, but worth it.

FWIW.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife has one on her 06 Bonnie. Fit and finish are impeccable - and the paint match is IDENTICAL. Looks awesome, and she tells me it's a LOT more comfortable than stock.

Pricey, but worth it.

FWIW.
What was the wait time on your order? I spoke with Corbin again today and now they're claiming that the Fusion white on my 2006 had not been matched before so more wait time on the painter.

Mr. T

·
Registered
41 Posts
What was the wait time on your order? I spoke with Corbin again today and now they're claiming that the Fusion white on my 2006 had not been matched before so more wait time on the painter.

Mr. T
I ordered a smuggler for my 2009 Red with white stripe Thruxton. I'm still waiting on mine and this has been since mid February. I've sent emails to check on the status but have not telephoned them yet. I received a ship date in March for no later than April 17th but alas no seat and NO response to any email.:(
I've been very patient so far but it's starting to wear thin. So far, I unfortunately have to agree with bad customer service. I hope they can get me the seat sometime soon. I wish they would just keep me up to date on progress or problems. Being in the dark is no fun for sure!!!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I had a Smuggler and it is a great seat. I did have to relocate the rear bracket with some screws but it worked out fine. Never had a problem with any Corbin products.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Scrambler with smuggler seat

Ok, guys
Finally received my seat today and I must say that I'm impressed with the overall condition of paint and quality. The whole process took about 10 weeks but Sergio Medeiros
Manager,Ormond Beach sales & Warehouse
worked with me from start to finish.

I also had issues with the rear bracket being installed to far back and needing a few shims.

A few photos for you
MR. T

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, guys
Finally received my seat today and I must say that I'm impressed with the overall condition of paint and quality. The whole process took about 10 but Sergio Medeiros
Manager,Ormond Beach sales & Warehouse
Sergio worked with me from start to finish.

I also had issues with the rear bracket being installed to far back and needing a few shims.

A few photos for you
MR. T
Mr. T ...that is a one great looking bike. I recevied an email from Carlos today and I should have mine next week...if mine looks half as good as yours I'll be pleased...

Ratt65

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, guys
Finally received my seat today and I must say that I'm impressed with the overall condition of paint and quality. MR. T
Great looking bike and seat. You must be extremely happy with it.

And thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I am now convinced that Corbin is the way to go... I will just be sure to give them a lot of lead time and be very specific about my colour choices.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
TDI,
that bike makes me want a Scrambler. What a beauty. It makes the Scrambler look more sporty instead of outdoorsy.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just got a Corbin Smuggler off a trade-in at my local dealer, it just kinda fell in my lap. Had no problems with fit and as soon as I get it painted to match my bike...it's gonna be one SWEET ride!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Calliway,
yea, I replaced those off-road tires added a set of Pirelli's pulled the air box, opened the pipes and it's made a world of difference.

I would like to drop it an inch or two as well.

Mr. T

·
Registered
35 Posts
Keep in mind that Corbin has a lot of motorcycles to keep up with. They have several new bikes in R&D all the time. And they can only make seats for the bikes they can get access to. The 2009 Bonnies were different enough from the 2008 models that Corbin had to re-engineer the seat molds. I took a tour of the factory over the weekend. It was amazing - lots of custom machinery and many, many people all dedicated to making seats for our riding pleasure. There was a huge line of seats on the conveyor, waiting to be finished & shipped! The guys doing the customizing were very helpful & insightful. Everyone who was getting custom work done when I was there was extremely pleased. Having a seat made while you wait takes 4 hours, but it's worth it if you can do it. That way, there are no fitment problems and the seat is tailored to your exact stature, shape & riding position. The Corbin folks did a nice job redesigning the Bonnie/Thruxton seats. I'm quite pleased with my Smuggler!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts