Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering swaping out my 08 ST stock seat for something that dosen't tilt me to the tank and is more forgiving on my boney butt after an hour or so, even with an Alaska sheepskin. I've looked at the pixs of the Corbin seat on an ST on their site and have noticed that the hard bag side frames are missing. I've also noticed that the pixs scattered throughout the ST forum of bikes with the Corbin seat also do not have the frames.

The text on the Corbin site states: "Please note this seat model was designed to work with the Triumph hand rails removed."

My buddy ST rider gave Corbin a call confused by the words "hand rails" rather than hand rail and was told the Corbin seat will not fit with the hard bag frames. Is this correct?

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I couldn't find anything doing a search.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
The Cordin gunfighter saddle ( solo riding) does not have openings for the grab rails. The Gunfighter and Lady
( 2-up saddle seen below) does have openings for the grab rail. Both of these saddles can be seen on the Corbin site.

The OEM Triumph pannier racks work just fine with the Corbin saddles.

The first pic below pic shows my bike with Triumph pannier racks, and a Corbin saddle. Note also the Triumph grab rails with
SW-Motech top box rack attached. Pic two shows the bike with the pannier racks removed.

I'm using Givi E21 panniers attached to the OEM Triumph pannier racks.

Tom

The reason for removing the pannier racks is simply to make the bike look better.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Cordin gunfighter saddle ( solo riding) does not have openings for the grab rails. The Gunfighter and Lady
( 2-up saddle seen below) does have openings for the grab rail. Both of these saddles can be seen on the Corbin site.

The OEM Triumph pannier racks work just fine with the Corbin saddle.
The reason for removing the pannier racks is simply to make the bike look better.
Thanks for the quick replies.

Werks,
I understand that the Gunfighter and Lady retains the grab rail. However, if the solo seat requires the removel of the grab rail, what does the back section of the pannier rack attach to? I'm more interested in retaining close and secure areas for my tail bag. With the side racks, the tail bag is tight and looks good, without many feet of exposed bungies.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
if the solo seat requires the removel of the grab rail, what does the back section of the pannier rack attach to?
Good point, and one I obviously overlooked. With the solo saddle, no grab rail equals no pannier racks.

Denoose got it right.

Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Impressions

Werks, would you buy the corbin gunfighter again? With the season for long rides right around the corner i'm looking for a new seat but don't know if it's any better than the gel seat i have on the bike already.

thanks,
JS

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Werks, would you buy the corbin gunfighter again? With the season for long rides right around
the corner i'm looking for a new seat but don't know if it's any better than the gel seat i have
on the bike already.
I would indeed buy the Corbin again. I found the OEM gel to be less comfortable than OEM stock,
and quickly switched back to stock before finally springing for the Corbin.... and this is my fourth Corbin.

Some say the Corbin is too stiff.... I agree that it's stiff, but for me that means long distance comfort after an initial break-in period.
Plus, it uses a key for removal... no more bolts :D

That said, it's one of those decisions that only you can make as "what's comfortable" varies greatly from rider to rider.

Sargent will make you a ST 1050 saddle using your OEM pan, plus there are other saddles made for the Sprint
that I'm not familiar with.

Tom

·
Registered
138 Posts
I also have the corbin on my 08 and really like it. I went with the solo style but had them put it on the gunfighter and lady base so I get the solo look but retain the rail/pannier function. I almost never ride 2 up so it works for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I also have the corbin on my 08 and really like it. I went with the solo style but had them put it on the gunfighter and lady base so I get the solo look but retain the rail/pannier function. I almost never ride 2 up so it works for me.
I've got a Corbin on my '08 and find it to be a vast improvement over the stock seat.

The workaround pingpong used is an excellent way to keep the utility of the hard bags with the look of the solo seat.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pic's?

Pingpong,
By chance do you have pictures of that? I'm looking at that option.

And, what materials are people using? Colored stitching? Different panel colors?

thanks again,
JS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts