Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one of these seats? If so, how do you like it compared to the stock piece of plywood? Is it worth the $260 Corbin gets for it? Does it increase the seat height? I'm 5'7" so much seat more seat height could get awkward. Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
I have one on my Speed Triple/Daytona (same tail/seats as yours)

I've done a 700 mile day & a 600 mile day on it & survived quite nicely!

I can't really compare to OEM as it was on the bike when I bought it.

I will say that I recently bought a new Corbin for the SV - the quality was disappointing - it was assembled incorrectly with the forward bracket mounted backwards; even when reversed it would not align with the frame mounting holes. I had to elongate the mounting hokes for bracket to seat, then grind away some material from the fiber-glass seat base in order to have the bracket mounted far enough backwards to fit. What was most shocking is that in two e-mails to politely point out the issues to their customer service, I received no response. In light if those experiences, I will never buy another Corbin product.

For my TL seat, I intend to send the OEM to Spencer at Great Day to Ride - if you search across various motorcycle forums you will find countless testaments to what he does in reconstructing your stock seat for improved comfort. Even with the added Supracor option, you're still looking at way less than half of a Corbin investment.
(Note that he also has links to some custom replacement seat cover companies on the FAQ page, if you want that replaced at same time as the foam re-work)

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the honesty on your Corbin experience. I know a lot of people swear by them but it's customer service issues like that that drive me away. Hey, everyone makes mistakes, just make good on it, thats all I want.

I appreciate the link for modifying my original seat! I actually think thats the route i'll take once i'm ready to do it. I don't mind the stocker but after about 160 miles or so my butt really starts to feel it. I did a few days over 300 miles last year and that got brutal. I think I need something with some foam I can actually sit "into" and not just "on top" of.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the honesty on your Corbin experience. I know a lot of people swear by them but it's customer service issues like that that drive me away. Hey, everyone makes mistakes, just make good on it, thats all I want.

I appreciate the link for modifying my original seat! I actually think thats the route i'll take once i'm ready to do it. I don't mind the stocker but after about 160 miles or so my butt really starts to feel it. I did a few days over 300 miles last year and that got brutal. I think I need something with some foam I can actually sit "into" and not just "on top" of.
Corbins are worth every penny. I have had a few of them and very comfy. I used to live about 3 miles from the factory so customer service was even better if you ever needed repair or adjustments.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
GearHd6, My '98 came with a Corbin saddle. It's comfortable for the highway drones, but not the best for down and dirty sport riding as it's tractor style seat is hard to move around on. Also because of the tractor style it may be uncomfortable for you at stoplights.

Brad

·
Registered
311 Posts
GearHd6, My '98 came with a Corbin saddle. It's comfortable for the highway drones, but not the best for down and dirty sport riding as it's tractor style seat is hard to move around on. Also because of the tractor style it may be uncomfortable for you at stoplights.

Brad
The newer Corbin seats use Comfort Cell foam. If its a seat from 98 it probably doesnt. The foam moulds to your bottom. So, if its used its probably moulded to the other persons bottom. You can also have it made with less foam too etc. The tractor style seat is just the natural way the seating is designed on the T595.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Personally I love Corbin seats and I also live not too far from the factory. The only advice I can give you is, if you can't visit the factory, then don't buy one of their seats. I've alway enjoyed having them build me a seat while I wait, test fit, refit and adjust to my liking.

If I had to buy with out the visit, I'd pass on getting a Corbin.

Just being honest.

Michael

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I love Corbin seats and I also live not too far from the factory. The only advice I can give you is, if you can't visit the factory, then don't buy one of their seats. I've alway enjoyed having them build me a seat while I wait, test fit, refit and adjust to my liking.

If I had to buy with out the visit, I'd pass on getting a Corbin.

Just being honest.

Michael
So you're saying you basically get a generic seat if you mail order but they actually fit it to you if you walk in? Thats a pretty cool service, it doesn't seem fair to the mail order guys but then again, whats fair anymore?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So you're saying you basically get a generic seat if you mail order but they actually fit it to you if you walk in? Thats a pretty cool service, it doesn't seem fair to the mail order guys but then again, whats fair anymore?

Yes that is correct, if you don't visit the factory you're taking your chances. Corbin's tend to have too much theigh support, which I had them shave down a bit. On their sport bike seats, it's normally not as bad.

Life isn't fair,

Michael

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well,you can order it to your taste with a little lest foam on the sides. But as vffr1 says its not as nice as riding in and getting it tailored to your booty. I wouldnt hesitate getting one mail order. I would call in and you can talk to one of the saddle makers. These guys know their stuff when it comes to seats.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Having dealt with Corbin twice, I wouldn't go back for a third try. Great seats with the ultimate in crap service.

No one can convince me that the USA is screwed business wise when a company doesn't answer it's e-mails form someone trying to buy something. Things must not be bad enough at Corbin...

I'd try http://www.sargentcycle.com/triwsday.htm

These guys have a great reputation and an excellent product.

Linz :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sergent has no product for the 97-01 (as per original requestors requirement) and incidentally Corbin none for the 02-06
Corbin will make you one for an 02-06. It will possibly be for free too if you leave your bike for a week for tooling the seat moulds. My buddy got 2 free seats when they needed a Honda Hawk GT for retooling their mould. One stock and one for the RC30 tailpiece he had for it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Having dealt with Corbin twice, I wouldn't go back for a third try. Great seats with the ultimate in crap service.

No one can convince me that the USA is screwed business wise when a company doesn't answer it's e-mails form someone trying to buy something. Things must not be bad enough at Corbin...

I'd try http://www.sargentcycle.com/triwsday.htm

These guys have a great reputation and an excellent product.

Linz :)
Yeah - I dont think they are known for their web business/service. I cant really vouch for it. When you visit the factory its a great experience. They take care of you and you can kick back in the Wizards cafe and have a bite while they take care of your ride. We are lucky here in the SF Bay Area that we can ride in and get taken care of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Corbin will make you one for an 02-06. It will possibly be for free too if you leave your bike for a week for tooling the seat moulds. My buddy got 2 free seats when they needed a Honda Hawk GT for retooling their mould. One stock and one for the RC30 tailpiece he had for it.

I called them today and am working with them to get a 02-06 seat made. :D

Michael

·
Registered
311 Posts
I called them today and am working with them to get a 02-06 seat made. :D

Michael
That's gonna look sweet! Mine is getting one soon. Tell them you want it on the house for providing your bike to tool the mould. Alchoballz got his old Hawk done for free. The picture of his Hawk is still on the Corbin site. It was done back when Corbin was in Castroville.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a bargain Corbin seat for my 97 T595 on Ebay.

My issue with the stock seat was not that it wasn't comfy. It was the lack of grip, and the beating my nuts took on accelerating/braking.

The corbin seat solved this problem, but there's no way I would pay full price for one in the future. Far to expensive for what it is. The finish underneath and the mounting brackets are very homemade in appearance. I think I could have done better modding the original myself. It's also very heavy compared with the stock seat. It is slightly taller than the stock seat too, not a bad thing but it does feel different at first.

The corbin looks very good when it is on the bike, and it's comfortably sculpted, but I wouldn't buy a new one, it's way overpriced. If you can get a good used one for a good price then go for it.
I would look for a local upholsterer if I want a seat modded again. All the ones I've found since seem to offer a better service for cheaper.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a bargain Corbin seat for my 97 T595 on Ebay.

My issue with the stock seat was not that it wasn't comfy. It was the lack of grip, and the beating my nuts took on accelerating/braking.

The corbin seat solved this problem, but there's no way I would pay full price for one in the future. Far to expensive for what it is. The finish underneath and the mounting brackets are very homemade in appearance. I think I could have done better modding the original myself. It's also very heavy compared with the stock seat. It is slightly taller than the stock seat too, not a bad thing but it does feel different at first.

The corbin looks very good when it is on the bike, and it's comfortably sculpted, but I wouldn't buy a new one, it's way overpriced. If you can get a good used one for a good price then go for it.
I would look for a local upholsterer if I want a seat modded again. All the ones I've found since seem to offer a better service for cheaper.
Yes, I agree they look a little funky underneath. But, remember these are being hand made. The pan is fiberglass thus the weight vs. the stock injection mould plastic. If you had an upholstery guy make you a new pan, new hand shaped foam (Corbins foam is proprietary) It would end up costing the same. Yes, you can get a good deal on eBay. I bought one from eBay for my YZF for 1/2 price. It was damaged in shipping. It was insured via Canada Post so I got the insurance claim money. I ran it over to Corbin expecting to pay to have it fixed. They were able to fix on the spot for FREE! So the seat cost me ZERO!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts