Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at doing some serious touring on my Speed Twin this year. The stock seat isn't horrible, but I 'd like to get something more comfortable for long days in the saddle. Does anyone other than Corbin make a good touring seat? (I'm not looking for the flat custom versions) I ran a Corbin for many years on a BMW, and wasn't very impressed - for anyone who's put one on, what's your opinion?

·
Registered
2019 T100
146 Posts
I've never had a corbin, but my understanding of them is that some people love them and others hate them. If they're not for you then I'd look at other options. They're way too expensive to spend your money on when you've already given them a shot and found them unimpressive. I'm willing to bet there aren't a lot of touring oriented seats for the speed twin. Have you considered having your factory seat reworked by one of the people that specialize in it? There are quite a few people on here that have had their stock seats redone and are happy with the results.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Stowe. I know I would likely get a better result sending the seat off to get reworked, but then I have to sacrifice the pan, and I don't want to lose my stock seat. I used an Airhawk on my Street Twin with success (650 mile days no problem), but that seat was wider and more dished than the Speedy, where the Airhawk just flops over the sides.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Corbin G&L on my T120 Diamond. Nice saddle - looks good. But it does take a while to 'break in'.

And they are spendy.

You may want to consider an AirHawk - I had one on my Guzzi and was very pleased with it.

G

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
242 Posts
I'm going to send mine to sargent to have reworked. Have had many Corbin's and a few sargent's. They will make the seat to your specs. Did one last year on my ducati and total turnaround was one week including shipping. Now the seat is no worry and can ride as long as the rest of me can hold out.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I have a butt that is happy with corbin so I get them. I just got a used one for a Speed Twin from someone on the for sale section of this forum. Hasn't arrived yet. either they fit your butt or they don't, sounds like it doesn't for you. You may want to try alaska leather. don't know how they compare to airhawk but I find them a definite improvement for a lot of stock seats.
I have a pillion 2 I am happy with on stock seats.

Sheepskin Buttpads®

·
Registered
3 Posts
OP you might have to go custom or buy one of the OEM Triumph stitched ones. I believe the seat looks terrible and just looks like an afterthought on this bike. I went with a black OEM comfort seat because i got a deal on one on Ebay. Now if triumph would sell a suspension upgrade kit i'd be happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the OEM Comfort seat and it is a big upgrade from the stock seat. I did a seven hour trip that I could never have done with the stock seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just ordered a DS003 from burton bike bits for my bonneville 865se. Unable to comment on the comfort yet but, from the accounts i have read, it is a big improvement on the stock seat.It does look much better,with triumph logo on the back in gold.I believe it raises the seat height about an inch.. i understand the king and queen is the most comfortable but personally i'm not keen on the look on the bonneville.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking at doing some serious touring on my Speed Twin this year. The stock seat isn't horrible, but I 'd like to get something more comfortable for long days in the saddle. Does anyone other than Corbin make a good touring seat? (I'm not looking for the flat custom versions) I ran a Corbin for many years on a BMW, and wasn't very impressed - for anyone who's put one on, what's your opinion?
My 04 America came with 30K miles on the Odometer and a Corbin seat with a Corbin backrest installed by the PO who was similar in size to me at 5-8 and 155 pounds. I find it very comfortable, especially the backrest, once I get my leg over it and into the saddle. I have read that some folks do not like Corbins and find them too hard, but mine is great. Perhaps it was well broken by the PO's butt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I, too, want a different seat for the Speed Twin. After an hour, my butt gets numb on the stock setup. I've had 4 different Corbin saddles for various sport and sport touring bikes over the years, and that's what I'm upgrading to this year. Yes, they're firm. Yes, they have a break-in period. But the firmness is very different than the stock plank, and the contours fit me really well. More importantly, I've always been able to ride for hours on Corbin saddles (Gunfighter and Gunfighter and Lady models - terrible names ....).

I used Sargent Cycle years ago to redo the saddle on my wife's old Honda Shadow and I was really, really impressed with their work. The saddle they built for her lasted many, very comfortable years. But they require using your original pan, and I'm not willing to do that with the Triumph. Maybe if I pick up a pan on eBay? Last I checked, Speed Twins weren't a pre-made option for Sargent, so they'd rely on your own careful measurements and input to build something truly custom. That worked out for us on the Honda but, again, not sure I want to take the chance when Corbin is a known good fit for me.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Corbin seats are really hard. Some like that, some don't. Years ago I bought one for my Kawa Concours. Hated it, but used it for a year in hopes it would "break in". It never did. I put the stock seat back on and ended up selling the Corbin for $20 at a garage sale a few years later. Not the best $600 I ever spent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts