Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. this is a two part review. One is a review of the Contraband Fairing.. and the other is a review of Corbin as a company. Both are gonna be terrible reviews. In fact.. I'm just gonna start at the beginning and tell you how my whole experience has been.. start to finish.

On April 8th I ordered a Corbin Contraband Fairing for my 2012 Tbird. It was discussed in length with the sales person and my fairing was to be color matched blue/with white racing stripe and the silver pinstripes that edge the white racing stripe. I was quoted a 6 week lead time.

At week 4.. I called Corbin to get a status update. I was told it was still on track for the 6 week lead time. At week 6.. I called to find out when it would be shipped and I was told it would not ship until end of June. That puts me at the 10 week mark. I explained that I needed it for a trip in which I was leaving for on June 16th.. and after some arguing and even threatening to cancel my order.. they agreed to ship it on June 1st.
I continued to follow up with them weekly to be sure they were going to make the June 1st deadline.

June 1st rolled around.. and when I called that morning.. I spoke to Michael (sales rep).. and he told me the fairing was completed and they were in the process of packaging it up to ship out that night. Two days later.. I called to get the tracking info and I was told it was not completed yet. They said it was painted.. and the white stripe was also painted. It was just awaiting the silver pinstripe and clear coat. They told me it would ship on June 16th.

I told them I wanted a full refund and to cancel my order because it was not going to arrive in time for my trip. They then promised to ship it no later than the 8th an I would receive it no later than 6/14. I told them if I didn't have a tracking number on June 8th.. I wanted a full refund.

June 8th rolls around.. and finally my fairing shipped. I was very excited to get it. It arrive today.. June 14th.. as they said it would.

When I opened it.. the first thing I noticed is that they did not do the silver pinstripe.. and they skipped the clear coat process. Also.. the white painted stripe was not painted at all. Its just a piece of vinyl sticker. The shade of white doesn't even match the shade of white on my bike. Also.. the locking mechanism on the compartment door did not work properly and I had to take it apart and modify it to make it work.

I decided to install it anyway.. just to see how it looked and to take a ride and see how it performs. Well.. guess what.. there's issues with the mounting hardware too. The lower bracket that attaches to the headlight is drilled wrong.. and the headlight points downward at an angle that doesn't light up the road.

Also a quick test ride on the highway proves that this fairing does not perform nearly as good as I hoped it would.. tho that could be partly due to the fact that I got the short windscreen. But I saw a video review from Narcisco Lopez and he claimed he was doing 105MPH with zero head buffeting. Thats simply impossible. My head was bouncing all over at only 70. My National Cycles Chopped windshield performs better.

In summary.. I'm removing the fairing tomorrow.. packing it back into the box.. and demanding a full refund. If they do not fully refund me.. I will contact my credit card company and explain all of these issues and dispute the charges.

On a side note.. I can not stress enough how bad Corbin's service is. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone.. and I would suggest if you're reading this.. that you stay as far away from that company as possible.

Thx for reading my frustrated rant.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
they did not do the silver pinstripe.. and they skipped the clear coat process. Also.. the white painted stripe was not painted at all. Its just a piece of vinyl sticker.
Wow. That's just...wow. :frown2: Sorry you had this experience, Joey; I know you were looking forward to adding this to your bike. If it's any consolation (in a misery-loves-company kind of way), from what I've read about Corbin's terrible customer service, your experience wasn't unique. I hope your installation and use of it won't void any return policy they have...were it me (no clearcoat??), I'd have just sent it back as soon as I saw what was received. Either way, yeah, get your cc company involved if they give you any pushback...it's pretty clear that you did not receive what you ordered and paid for.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already started the process with my CC company.

Also I've been calling them all day and I keep getting excuses as to why the manager hasn't called me back. She's at lunch (2x).. she's on the phone.. it's her day off.. Etc. During one call.. the reception said she was on the other line.. and in the next sentence she said she's at lunch. They're straight up liars!

I was told yesterday they'd redo it. But it'll take another 4-6 weeks plus shipping time. So in "Corbin time".. it'll be another 10-12 weeks before I get it back. Totally unacceptable. I don't even want it now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow. Sorry man.

Tell you what - let's both go to the dark side & get road glides...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. Sorry man.

Tell you what - let's both go to the dark side & get road glides...

Ha.. I was tempted over the winter.. but a street glide. But in the end I chose to BB the bird. Mine is running pretty awesome right now so for the moment I'm happy with my choice. But I'll prob pick up a street glide or something similar some day.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Wow, that sucks, since they are at least a thousand dollars more than the other two options. This whole windshield/batwing thing is such a crapshoot anyways in the buffeting dept, then to add in the fact that yours not only doesn't fit right but has cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow, that sucks, since they are at least a thousand dollars more than the other two options. This whole windshield/batwing thing is such a crapshoot anyways in the buffeting dept, then to add in the fact that yours not only doesn't fit right but has cosmetic issues.

It's going back today. I started a dispute with my credit card company so if they refuse to give a full refund.. my CC company will handle it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Its a feeling I get often with some of these companies that most bikes are a nuisance to them except for HDs due to the proliferation of them floating around.

They just don't seem to want to bother with niche bikes, when they can live off one brand.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good Info

I looked at the contraband fairing on corbin's website many times, and decided it was just too overpriced. Thanks for letting us all know about their customer service, and despite appearances the fact that it doesn't work all that well.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at the contraband fairing on corbin's website many times, and decided it was just too overpriced. Thanks for letting us all know about their customer service, and despite appearances the fact that it doesn't work all that well.

Ya. I contemplated it for a very long time. It was a total disappointment. Lucky for me.. they were 4 weeks late on delivery and it was done incorrectly.. giving me plenty of reason to dispute it and get my $ back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts