Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking for a backrest for the Corbin seat on my '94 Sprint 900.
I found Corbin's pricing to be a bit much ($229.00 U.S. + exchange + S&H, + duty + taxes..for a backrest?) so I did a little searching and found Harrison Specialties in the U.S. They have backrests for the Corbin seat for $89.99 plus the rest, but that still works out to a lot less than the Corbin item. Does anyone have or know someone who has had experience with these backrests? I really want my wife to feel secure on the back (she hates not having a backrest and won't ride with me until I get one) and this seems like a better alternative to the "name" brand, if the item is decent.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naw. I'm too old to suddenly start speaking in a high pitched voice. Nor would I survive long on my cooking. Besides, any woman who can put up with me deserves to be treated well.:D

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
personally, if that was the case with my mrs, i would insist in a single seat conversion!
Har! +1

Leave the backrest off and practice a few clutch dip wheelies :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. Been there.

Thanks Tommy. That was the site I had been to and from which I have since ordered a backrest. I'll let everyone know how this works out. By the way, is that you're bike in your signature? Looks to be the same British Racing Green as my '94 Sprint. In that colour it looks great with the tan coloured Corbin leather seat.:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep

Yep that's my bike. I have a black Corbin seat that was on it when I bought it. Please let us know how the back rest turns out.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got it!!

Well I ordered the backrest last Thursday and it arrived Tuesday.
First surprise was that it is considered "motorcycle parts" by the Canadian customs guys and I was therefore not charged any duty.
The second surprise was that the customs "handling fee" was only $5 (Will miracles never cease?). A quick inspection seems to indicate good materials and reasonable workmanship. It fits the built-in Corbin mount quite nicely and, more importantly, quite tightly. There is an Allen head screw to adjust the backrest angle in seconds and a lock bolt at the bottom of the bar to keep it from jiggling around on the bike. Granted, since the only colour available was black (Shades of the Model T Ford!), it does clash a bit with my tan coloured seat, but then since the passenger usually blocks it from the front and you don't see the seat well from the back, it's a minor concern. The vinyl cover has a zipper on the bottom and I suppose if I get bored next winter I could pull it off and fashion a new one in a better colour but that's hardly a priority right now. The rain stopped long enough yesterday to take the missus for a ride and she pronounced it quite comfortable and secure feeling. Yay!!! :D I'll try to post some pictures but as it's my first try I may have to try again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops....

Yes, that is the 12" X 10". I should have mentioned that before. The 7" X 7" may have been a bit less noticeable on the bike but knowing my wife's nervousness about not being securely held in place, I decided to go for the larger model. It's also available with studs for those who like the S. M. , whips and chains look...not that I'd know much about that, of course.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts