Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Spal fan on my 2004 SIII quit working. I checked the fuse and have measured 13 VDC at the fan plug after the engine reached 213 degrees so I know the ECM is telling the fan to run. So I went looking on line for a new fan. Holy Moly $350.00 from the dealer. I contacted a Spal fan distributor (A1 electric) they informed me that the fan is dealer specific and they cannot sell it.

My question: Has anybody found the fan cheaper elsewhere? Help!

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Welcome oldnewbie - thanks for coming in!

The Spal fan on my 2004 SIII quit working. I checked the fuse and have measured 13 VDC at the fan plug after the engine reached 213 degrees so I know the ECM is telling the fan to run. ....
Are you measuring across the pins in the plug from the brown/pink to the black/yellow - or just measuring the 12V at the brown/pink with respect to ground?
The fan always has battery volts on the positive terminal (switched by ignition) - it is the return (ground) side that is supplied by the ECM.
Take a wire and short from the black/yellow to ground - if the fan runs, you have another problem. If it doesn't, confirms the fan is bad.

See this thread - similar problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I disconnected the bike harness from the fan and measured 13 VDC at the bike harness. I have since removed the fan and the motor has a few sticky spots as if the bearings are shot or debris has gotten into the fan motor. I am confident that the fan is shot. From talking to a Spal distributor the fans are balanced at the factor and can’t be rebuilt. I was hoping somebody in the forum has had to replace the fan and know of a cheap source. All about saving the penny here and there.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

Thanks Slacker,

I bought the fan on Ebay saved me 300.00.

Clocker,

I think I know who your are. I bought the triple from you? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts