Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my 12k service my coolant reservior barfs out all the coolant from my reserve under the seat. However, she has never over heated and I try to add a little coolant every so often...then it barfs it out again? Am at nearly 16k in 11 months, anyone have a similar problem?
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
436 Posts
The overflow tank under the seat will find it's own level. When I switched to distilled water I filled the tank to the middle of the high and low marks, and for about a week I'd get a small puddle of water on the floor after a ride.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Search the forum: known problem. Anything above low mark will be puked out, no use trying to add more than that.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Annoying isn't it, but I think it is normal for the 1050 engine.
Just had my 12000 miles service done, and the dealer filled it to the high mark. I put up with it burping out fluid for over a week until it got down to the low level and settled down to normal again. Before the service I would just keep it on the lowest mark and had zero trouble all summer.
My guess, the overflow system on this bike is under sized.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my mechanic at the shop said he'll replace the rad cap. Otherwise I don't think I'll add much to the res. I started her last night and watch the res start to fill up just below the min mark. I guess I'll wait and see.
Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since my 12k service my coolant reservior barfs out all the coolant from my reserve under the seat. However, she has never over heated and I try to add a little coolant every so often...then it barfs it out again? Am at nearly 16k in 11 months, anyone have a similar problem?
Cheers,
Mark
My S3 had a faulty thermostat. The bike was 13 months old and 11,000kms. On the open road the temperature was okay at 5 bars and at town speeds the fan would come on and off at 6 bars. Around a minute after I stopped after the slower speeds and turned off the motor the reserve tank would fill up an push coolent out the overflow. When the motor cooled down the coolent level was well below minimum.

It was a thermostat that was not fully opening and the bike didn't overheat. Get the thermostat and radiator cap checked.

I keep the coolent level at min when cold and that leaves enough expansion to not push any out the overflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts