Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Been reading up on what you say about coolant.Apart from taking seat off & moving tank back a bit to refill coolant, is ther another way?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi all, Been reading up on what you say about coolant.Apart from taking seat off & moving tank back a bit to refill coolant, is ther another way?
I've toyed with the idea of drilling the coolant tank, attaching some loc-line bits to the hole, and routing them between the tank & stem, with a valve in-line.. I could open the valve, and refill without moving a damn thing...

But when it comes down to it, refills are needed so rarely, and it's not a big chore to remove the seat & move the tank, so I've not bothered.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I agree with Shoggot, any work around will be way more trouble than its worth.

Once you remove the tank a couple of times, the task is really no big deal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with Shoggot, any work around will be way more trouble than its worth.

Once you remove the tank a couple of times, the task is really no big deal.
Mind you, it always makes me a little worried - I take the fool's route, and don't disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, just shifting the tank ~ 3 inches. The fuel line seems to have -just- enough slack to do this - but one of these days, I'm going to shift the tank a wee bit too much, and have troubles result.

Frankly, if I ever have the tank fully off on a nice day and have a drill handy, I probably -will- make this modification, since it'd only take five or so minutes, and I have the loc-line parts & valve handy.

EDIT: Why don't I remove the fuel line? Because a) getting that little spring clamp off is a bear, & b) getting that little spring clamp back on is a bear.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Vise Grips makes the spring clamp a breeze

EDIT: Why don't I remove the fuel line? Because a) getting that little spring clamp off is a bear, & b) getting that little spring clamp back on is a bear.
I've had the seat and tank off a bunch of times, and I think getting the two seat screws back in is the worst of it. I use a pair of needle nosed vise grips, and they make the fuel spring clamp removal a cinch! Just adjust them to almost tight, clamp the fuel spring clamp tabs together and slide it wherever you please. I always put a rag under to catch the few drops of fuel that leak out, and have an empty milk crate nearby to set the tank on so the petcock can hang inside without bearing any weight. It's really a simple 5 minute job, and goes back together just as fast (except for those #@*& seat screws).

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had the seat and tank off a bunch of times, and I think getting the two seat screws back in is the worst of it. I use a pair of needle nosed vise grips, and they make the fuel spring clamp removal a cinch! Just adjust them to almost tight, clamp the fuel spring clamp tabs together and slide it wherever you please. I always put a rag under to catch the few drops of fuel that leak out, and have an empty milk crate nearby to set the tank on so the petcock can hang inside without bearing any weight. It's really a simple 5 minute job, and goes back together just as fast (except for those #@*& seat screws).
See my comment in the 'seat latches suck' thread, it's recent and relevant =)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Top up coolant.

Cheers, looks like I will carry on.
I have replaced the seat nuts with machined allen key bolts (e-bay) £10.00.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cheers, looks like I will carry on.
I have replaced the seat nuts with machined allen key bolts (e-bay) £10.00.
Good god, ya'll...

A pair of stainless metric bolts of appropriate length, socket-head cap screw type, is about 4$USD - if you're buying singly from an expensive hardware store.

Do those come with lasers or something? They better have lasers.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Speaking of coolant, I drained the system on my TB today as a matter of course of removing the engine for a sprag fix.

What little came out of the engine was dark olive in colour and was quite thick. After flushing it with 3 litres of pure whater that I also blew through the system after each filling, the water coming out was pretty clear.

Now I worry if there is a leak someplace, or if the PO drained it for some reason and never refilled, or if a decade of storage could have made most of the coolant evaporate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts