Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the coolant in my '02 ST. My factory manual says the capacity is 2.8 L, which converts to about 3/4 of a gallon, yet I only got about 1/2 gallon out. Anyone know the true capacity or where my other coolant hid during the drain?

Thanks,
Sasha

P.S. I did use the drain in the block as well as disconnected the hose from the pump.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
You'll never get all of the coolant out of an engine, unless you take it out and shake it upside down! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just puzzled because, although I agree I'll never get ALL of it, only getting about 60% of it doesn't seem right, either.

Sasha

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Autos are the same way. That's why the 'flush' is so popular. Just draining the radiator and hoses leaves a bunch of fluid in the system.

If it really bothers you, you could always try hanging the bike upside down to drain;)

But seriously, if you want a better change of fluid, you can dump the old stuff, fill the bike with distilled water*, run the bike up to temp, shut it down and drain the coolant again.

Then, refill the system with coolant.

*However, this will result in a 'weak' mixture. To avoid that, fill the system in the 'flushing' step with the normal coolant mix.

Or, you can just change the fluid more often than the recommended interval.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts