Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Kids--I am finally reassembling my 01 ST after Triumph warrantied my leaking fuel tank :-D . In the process, I have replaced the coolant hoses that were leaking too (and they say that the new-er Triumphs don't leak :razz: ) hence, I have drained the cooling system.

I am in the process of refilling the coolant system and have some questions. The manual indicates a total of 2.8L of coolant will be used in the system, but I have only managed 1.8L. Per the manual, "if no coolant is visible through the bleed screw...run a length of clear tubing from the bleed screw spigot and siphon coolant from the cylinder head into the bleed screw side of the thermostat..." No coolant is visible through the bleed screw.

Where is the bleed screw spigot? Where on the cylinder head would you siphon coolant from that would be put into the bleed screw? By doing this will my total volume be the 2.8L before I top off the coolant overflow tank?

I have not started the bike, as I had no fuel to put into the new tank. Also, per the manual, the coolant overflow tank should be topped off after running the bike.

BTW, I also posted this on the ST list.

Thanks!
Todd

·
Registered
156 Posts
I`m in the process of freshing mine up for the season and changed the coolant as part of it. My 99 has a cylinder drain plug on the left side of the engine about center of the outside of the cylinder bank.And the bleed screw is on the thermostat housing just behind the pressure cap.On some later models the bleed screw is on top of the right side of the radiator.Both of these use 6mm sealing washers. Hope that helps. :-D

[ This message was edited by: Doublenikkel on 2007-02-13 21:20 ]

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm doing mine as well on my 2000 the bleeder screw is to the right of the rad cap as you look at it. A word of caution mine ended up stripping , not the bolt head but the silly poorly designed brass fitting that the bolt is threaded into. Who ever thought of putting 2 disimilar metals together with antifreeze and then expecting that the plastic holding the brass fitting would actually hold under any stress is an idiot :evil: anyways I've had to order a new thermostat housing from the UK. Also my engine doesn't have a 6mm sealing washer on the dide of the engine there was just a bolt.....I don't know but I'm thinking maybe mine was built on a friday when the boys were eager to hit the pub :razz: Great bike though I really do love it!!!

[ This message was edited by: Suncoast on 2007-02-14 14:01 ]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never did find that actual "bleed screw spigot". I had no problem finding the bleed screw or the drain plug. Those were marked in the shop manual.

After the full drain, replacement and "warm up/cool off get the air out" process I managed 2.2L of coolant back into it. I didnt do a full flush with water, just drain and replace. I measured the volume of the coolant that came out to be just under 2.2L. So, my 2.2 replacement should be the correct volume if there was some air in the system. I am assuming that the bottom of the radiator is holding approx .4L of coolant that does drain out unless you remove the radiator as I found no drain plug on the radiator on my 01.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts