Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Anyone had trouble with their Trip having a nice green piss in the gutter after a ride? Mine will do it until the coolant reserve tank is empty.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey welcome. The S3s are known for expelling coolant. You should keep the coolant on the low end of the range. However, empty is not optimal.

There has been discussion on this topic before. You should do a search of topics relating to coolant. You will likely get what you are looking for there.

·
Registered
844 Posts
darren, my '07 pissed coolant a lot too before I flushed the coolant system really well and switched to Engine Ice. I don't care for the factory coolant at all as it left a thick brown substance that had the consistency of mud that adhered to the top of my coolant overflow bottle. After the flush and coolant switch, my overflow reservoir sits on the full line and the bike hasn't peed coolant once. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta very much lads, from my search I think I shall check the thermo and rad cap according to the service manual, then just let it find its own level, hehe.

Speedy, I wonder if the Engine Ice is masking a thermo prob?

I must admit I have never liked the stuff as engines are designed to run at a given temperature, but if it works for you mate. :D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mine used to drop low as well Darren, like all the other's! However mine had an issue with a rubber tube (picked up at 20,000km service)! I can't remember if the tube was too short, but it doesn't drop like it used to. My technician did say there where other reason's why these drop low, but didn't go into detail's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gawd that is short Ferris, haha, someones been at it mate!! Mine comes out with the other overflow pipes (fuel etc).

Well all, I gave the system a good bleed via the 8mm bleed bolt on the top rh side of the rad, some bubbly air came out and it hasnt overflowed since. :)

I mjst say at the same time it seems to have found it's happy spot in the resevoir at about 1/2 full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts