Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so this may be a silly question or even be the answer in one - but here goes....
I have taken the front seat off and can see the low and high mark on the resevoir but am having one hell of a job seing fluid. has anyone any good tricks? Like using a torch or should the coolant be coloured to make it easier? if I can't see anything can I just top up with water or should I top up with a coolant mix. If I overfill will it just self drain?

I am slightly embarrased to ask but it's driving me mad and I don't want to overfill if it means I have to start draining things down.

Thanks for you patience :)

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
You should fill with either coolant mix or distilled water
To be honest, if never done before, consider drain, flush & refill
You will be shocked at colour of what comes out.

You can't really overfill - it will just drain from the overflow hose if you put too much in.
But ideally you fill to the mark.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have taken the front seat off and can see the low and high mark on the resevoir but am having one hell of a job seing fluid. has anyone any good tricks? Like using a torch or should the coolant be coloured to make it easier? if I can't see anything can I just top up with water or should I top up with a coolant mix. If I overfill will it just self drain?
I always top up with a 50%-50% mix of Summer Coolant/Antifreeze and distilled water (never tap water). I also replace the coolant every 12-18 months. I also remove the reservoir bottle and flush the sludge out. After flushing the system thoroughly, I replace with a 50%-50% of quality (Mobil) Summer Coolant/Antifreeze and distilled water. It is coloured blue, so I can see it in the overflow bottle -- with the cap off and shaking the bike a little from side to side:)

If you do overfill slightly, the bike does burp it out from the overflow once it gets hot -- a typical Triumph phenomena, whereby ordinarily the system likes to be somewhere between the lower and upper level markings.

If you have not changed your fluids in a while maybe this is the time to do it. Typically Daytona 955i fluids end up a dark brown. Use quality coolant and distilled water (or at a pinch de-ionized water). If you can, treat the radiator/system to some brand name rad flush. Your bike will love you for it!

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is hard to see the coolant to verify the correct level. I used a small high powered LED flashlight and tip/rock the bike from side to side. You will want to check and adjust this level when the engine is cold.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
pizzaman68, Use a flash light to back light the reservoir tank. If empty check the coolant level at the radiator fill, it should be to the brim. If the radiator is full, add coolant to the reservoir tank 'till about 1/3 to 1/2 full. If the reservoir tank is over filled coolant will be expelled and the tank will find it's own level.

Brad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic

Thank you everyone for the fantastic answers - I don't feel quite so dense now.

Right where did I put the flashlight.....

Is the haynes manual worth getting or is there another recommended source?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Is the haynes manual worth getting or is there another recommended source?
While I have the Triumph Workshop Manual, I use the Haynes Manual extensively. In my view, it is more DIY-friendly, with lots of useful tips and procedures that are not covered in the more dealer-focused factory manual.

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
Personally I prefer the Triumph OEM service manual - but have both.
My own point of reference is pretty much exclusively to the OEM, but Haynes has some useful 'real' pictures vs graphical representations.
I think it depends on your personal knowledge - the OEM assumes a certain pre-established experience level whereas the Haynes is directed more to the novice perhaps? (that possibly sounds elitist and demeaning and certainly not my intention)
The Haynes will give more 'step-by-step' instruction for many processes, but the OEM has more technical information.
Neither is perfect - nor is the sum of both! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all,

I'll be happy with the Haynes and maybe one day graduate to the OEM. :) just kidding DEcosse.
Thanks for the advice.

All the best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts