Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
cheers Blacktiger, I had a similar reply over on Tigertriple about it may run rich. but I am hoping to get everything sorted by the weekend.

I read somewhere about the car rad caps were crap on motorbikes,

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
good news Fowlers in Bristol have the thermostat in stock, so I should receive it by Wednesday.

now a quick question about the thermostat. there is a plate attached to a spring with 2 tabs on it (silver / grey coloured), do there fit onto the ribs inside the housing, or doesn't matter, the ribs are only there for thermostat orientation and strength the rear housing. the thermostat fell out when I removed the rear cover.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
well in the thermostat was delivered yesterday, so I had to colect it today from the local sorting office, however still no rad cap, which was apparently send on Friday. I will phone tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
now a quick question about the thermostat. there is a plate attached to a spring with 2 tabs on it (silver / grey coloured), do there fit onto the ribs inside the housing, or doesn't matter, the ribs are only there for thermostat orientation and strength the rear housing. the thermostat fell out when I removed the rear cover.
The manual says :-
Locate the thermostat into the rear half of the housing such that the feet of the thermostat align with the thermostat mounting points in the housing.

The diagram shows little ribs top and bottom. Those tabs should fit in between the ribs. So the answer to you question is "yes".

If you need to see the diagram, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a Word doc with it on.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
the rad cap arrived in this mornings mail :) post marked 19th january 2011.w. t. * it was supposed to have been dispatched on Friday not Wednesday

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Blacktiger your have helped me a lot with the ribs. I did struggle as I has water dripping out from the housing, stripped it down 3 or 4 or 5 times, turns out the o ring had fallen out and was sitting on the engine side of the housing. all sorted now. I have run the engine up to fan cut in temperature a couple of time, so steam and its has not taken the water from expansion bottle. so new thermostat and Rad Cap have cured my problems, the only problem is I got the Engine warning light on.

I am sure I read somewhere I can turn it off by doing something simple, so the search is on.

here are the ribs inside the housing

back together

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
After a few heat/cool cycles - cooling fan running - the check-engine light should reset. As for car rad caps, I have Honda Civic caps on both my Tigers, probably about 30K miles total on the caps and they have worked perfectly. They're in stock at the local auto parts store and cost agout 25% of what the Triumph part costs. I'll also bet the cooling system works harder in Arizona than it does in the UK!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
After a few heat/cool cycles - cooling fan running - the check-engine light should reset. As for car rad caps, I have Honda Civic caps on both my Tigers, probably about 30K miles total on the caps and they have worked perfectly. They're in stock at the local auto parts store and cost agout 25% of what the Triumph part costs. I'll also bet the cooling system works harder in Arizona than it does in the UK!
Could be that you've found one of the few that blow off at 1.1 bar.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'll see if I can find the part number....

That would be great for those people that will be needing one in future.

I spent a couple of hours on the net trying to find a compatible cap but, in the end, bought an OE cap. Cost £13 which, for 58000 miles and 8 years, I thought was OK.

I came up with http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/honda~civic~radiator_cap~parts.html which shows both 13lbs and 16lbs so looks like you're alright if you got the 16lbs version. Not cheaper though at $18 it's roughly the same as my OE.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I did the 3 x 12 minutes start up on idle - no throttle just let the bike run until the fan cuts in. leave it cool and do it again and again.

The mil light has now gone out. so I am Chuffed :ClapHappy

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
went for a short spin today, the wife went pillion, 1st time pillion for about 10 years for her.

went for only 30 miles got back home expansion bottle overflowing with water again, it was about 18 deg c. so I think it could be a head gasket gone.

I ran the bike then on the drive up until the fan cut in, switched the bike off coolant again out of the expansion overflow. I heard a gurgling sound coming from the thermostat housing.

I replaced the rad cap and thermostat (triumph parts) any ideas, head gasket or something else, or just a burp in the system?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Belton,

I had the same problem touring Europe a couple of years ago.

I thought I had bled all the air out, but hadn't. In the end I took a top hose off, started the engine for a (very) short while, therefore checking the water pump was working, and getting rid of the air in the system. Then I filled it all back up, squeezed the pipes, etc, and it was ok after that.

Good luck old chap :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
warmed the Tiger up this morning, then stripped everything off it the check out the cooling system
no air in system, run bike until fans cut in, switched off no overflow.

slight emulsification on dip stick threads, could be down to condensation.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Dave,

I get that emulsified gunk on my dipstick after the bike has been in the garage all winter with seldom warm ups and condensation forming on the inside of the engine.

If you are convinced you don't have air in the system and no blockages in the pipework, radiator, etc, and the thermostat is actually opening, then it may be the head.

As I said earlier I was convinced I had bled all the air out of the system the first time when I was in Europe, but when I rode the bike the following day it still overheated and puked coolant. It was only when I bled it again, I found I hadn't. I was surprised just how much water went in. The symptoms were when I was working the motor hard dragging the bike up mountain passes the temp gauge would hit the red, then when I was going down hill with no load on the engine, the temp gauge dropped to the usual place. When I stopped the bike would puke coolant from the overflow. The fan was forever kicking in cause it was so hot out there.

Take it for another spin, make the engine work hard pulling up hills and if the temp gauge is going up towards the red then it may be air in the system still.

If you're happy with the water levels, do a Google search for the symptoms of a blown head gasket:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_signs_of_a_blown_head_gasket

Good luck :thumbsup

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
cheers Graeme, had a look at the gasket systems, I havn't got steam out of the exhaust, the thermostat I changed recently when I changes the rad cap, so it sounds like I still got air in the system. I will push the bike hard on way home from work tomorrow, perhaps I will take the long way home. Plenty of hill around here.

I did work the Tiger hard on Friday, it was about 18 deg C 2 up. 1st time 2 up on the tiger.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
right then, I got the bike in for the 12,000 mile service, so i mentioned about the coolant pissing out of the expansion bottle. turns out after doing a coolant test there is exhaust gases leaking into the cooling system. sounds like a head gasket has a small leak. :(

all should be sorted soon, just will have a bill to pay

21 - 40 of 40 Posts