Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as it has been very cold around here lately the Tiger (955i) has been tucked up in my shed under a bike cover.
Every few day I start the Tiger up and let it run after I have squeezed water pipes shock bike to check levels, etc before start up, generally no problem
tonight when I shut it off I could hear water condensating on the exhaust, thought the bike had sweated but wrong, tasted the water to my horror I could taste antifreeze. expansion tank empty.

Any ideas guys, I an hoping a split pipe or a core plug has failed. the water seamed to be dripping just infront of the rear wheel.

I could not get underneath to see where the leak was, the bottom of the engine felt dry.

:( Dave

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
How long do you let it idle? Is your cooling fan coming on? Could be getting hot enough to have the coolant expand and burp out of the over flow ultimately, depleting the overflow tank. Trace down your overflow tube and find where it ends to see if that is where the coolant is coming from.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like that answer, make me feel happier.

I let the bike idle for 10 to 20 minutes, in my shed. the fan did cut in.

I will take the tank off this weekend, I was wondering if it was something similar, as the bike is on the side stand and the water trail was along the back somewhere, and not leaking from the rear as it shows.

The Expansion tank looked empty, so a burp might be the problem.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Dave,

Have a quick check of the pipes round your thermostat housing under the left hand side of the fuel tank. If you've got water weeping out of there, your expansion tank may lose it's water and cause further problems down the line.

Hope it works out to be a cheap fix whatever it is :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funnily enough Graeme, on another forum, someone has mentioned a sticky thermostat

I hope is a cheap fix, too.

I have run the bike a couple of times a week in my shed while its parked up due to the weather conditions, and this is the 1st problem I have had while parked up. and it wasn't particularly cold over the last few nights. maybe -4, the first couple of weeks it went down to -7 or -8 over night and no probs.

good job I only work 4 days a week, 3 day weekend to solve the problem. But I have use of the wifes cars.

I am sure I can use her car for the next 2 weeks until I finish for xmas hols ;)

Dave

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one of the guys on tiger triple has informed me the expansion pipe comes out on the RHS of the bike by the swing arm, and could be the pressure cap has failed.

this is where the water is dripping from, in work at moment unable to look at this until tonight.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ah yes! The Tiger Pressure Cap. I did a little fiddling this summer with mine. If you replace it, go with the OEM. I tried a number of the auto caps listed on the tigertriple thread and none of them really fit/sealed properly which obviously raises issues.
Good luck and I hope it is a simple fix!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just ordered a new rad cap from my local Triumph dealership
£15 in p&p :) had a chat to them about the problem and they confirmed the rad cap failure would cause this problem.

should have the cap next week, so hopefully problem solved soon.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good news, I drained the cooling system on the tiger, looks like I only lost whats was in the expansion tank, traced the expansion hose to the right hand side of the bike just infront of the swing arm.

So I am happier at the moment, while the tank was off had a look at the plugs and airfilter, everything looks fine.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
definitely good news. nice work!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem recently ,turned out to be the expansion filler hose on stat housing lose.New clip solved the problem

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am still waiting for the Rad cap to arrive :( I originally oreder the part 10th December 2010, they have promised that it would be in their shop on Wednesday, my bro went to the shop on Thursday as he was working in the area and the cap still has not arrived from the Triumph factory :mad: then they promised it will be with the dealer yestarday.

Nothing has arrived in today's mail.
just phoned them and its being dispatched from the dealer to me today. :rolleyes: hopefully in tomorrows mail.

I need to get back on to 2 wheels, using wife's car is cost a lot in diesel.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
on a similar note, I checked the filler cap earlier, full of water :( turns out the drain hole was blocked. 2mm drill bit up the hole, job done. loads of water came out.

must have been about an egg cup full, although I didn't measure it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the rad cap didnt arrive in this mornings mail,, so I had a look at the thermostat, no emulsification. but 'i put it in cold water while I boiled the kettle. then put the thermostat in boiling water, no difference.
this could be the root cause of the initial problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes that would be it.

Hope you replacement 'stat arrives quicker than the rad cap.

Good luck and hope you are mobile again soon.

JJ

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I need to take the bike this week as wife needs the car, so I will run the bike without the defective thermostat, as I consider this to be the problem and not the rad cap. I have run cars without thermostats in the past, without problems.

The Tiger will be ok to run without a thermostat? just checking before I bugger it up.

I will order new thermostat tomorrow, hopefully as you say JJ it will be here quicker than the rad cap.
so I will be hoping it arrives early next week. The most mileage I will do next week will be 30 miles X 4 days work = 120 miles. at least the tank will not be full like this weekend. that tank is rather heavy with 24lt of fuel in it.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dave, I've no personal experience of running a bike without the thermostat fitted. Like you I've run old BL cars without in the past without causing any harm.
Logically it can't do any damage running the bike without. Will probably just take a bit longer to get uo to temperature. Then it will operate as normal. In your shoes I would definitely go for it. Unless someone on here knows differently.

Cheers JJ

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
For anyone reading this thread don't be tempted to fit a rad cap for a car. They (mostly) have a lower blow off pressure. 0.9 bar is common on cars. Our Tigers' need 1.1 bar.
As for running without the thermostat. It won't do any immediate harm but during the winter the engine may never get up to temperature. So it may run with a rich mixture for a long time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts