Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all your answers,
the leaking happens when I'm not using the bike, when cold then. I suppose the liquid vaporises when the engine's hot. I know of a French Triumph-dealer in Strasbourg who looks after all the hoses and clippings and everything that could be loose before handing the bike to the customer. I'm afraid that's not as usual as it should. Having bought the bike in Berlin Germany I think that I have to check all the screws myself - going to take engineering-lessons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After I had the recall done on the tiger ('02 955i) (fuel connector and expansion tank hoses) the bike started leaking coolant all over the left hand of the engine and my left foot. It's getting progressively worse actually, and I've had to top up the coolant level recently. The dealer has told me to wait for some time and call them if it stays like this. Obviously a bike should not be leaking coolant over the engine, and I'm a little peed off as it was fine before the recall work. They seem reluctant to book me in for a fix as it will be on their time.

Anyone else had this problem and what was the fix? I think i've read about this coolant leaking issue before... :???:

[ This message was edited by: BP_LONDON on 2004-09-21 12:02 ]
I have a 2003 Tiger 955i. After I flushed the coolant, I seemed to have a very slow leak from the "Air purge" screw on top of the thermostat housing. Its been getting worse. I'm considering using some epoxy to seal the screw permanently. I just don't think the composite material is holding up.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I have a 2003 Tiger 955i. After I flushed the coolant, I seemed to have a very slow leak from the "Air purge" screw on top of the thermostat housing. Its been getting worse. I'm considering using some epoxy to seal the screw permanently. I just don't think the composite material is holding up.
Does it have the sealing washer in with the bolt ?? If it does, you can always try some sealer on the washer bolt, see if that makes a difference.

Mine weeps a little bit during the cold winter months.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Seriously? Epoxy the bleed screw?
Replace the gasket and fix the leak properly. The bleed screw is there for a reason.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sometimes the clamps break on the hoses. Then they leak. Yours is about right age for them to fail. Sometimes the hoses just shrink and get a little hard. Probably best to replace them but snugging up clamps will usually take care of it. I had a leak on the left side of my 02 Sprint RS, went to snug up the clamp and the screw just turned. That kind of pinned down the problem. I decided to change the coolant as long as I was messing with it. It was really ugly when I drained it. On the Tiger, if you have the tank off, might just want to replace the radiator cap while your at it.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts