Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Coolant leaks on these bikes are almost always from loosening clamps. Check them all for tightness.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's leaking out of the ( pictured in the link )manifold Where is the check/add level tank ?

JJ

·
Registered
468 Posts
The coolant level indicator is on the right side, the chrome cover that is behind the engine and almost directly under the front of your seat...you view it from the side/rear, it's a translucent white with fill indicators. As for the leak, mine has leaked from day 1. I got it off the showroom floor as a demo bike with 150 miles on it. I had them deliver it to the house and noticed then. I have had it to dealer a few times, for clamps etc...and to a 3rd party when warranty ran out. Coolant leaks were a common thread (2010) when I first got my bike. Many thought it was this or that, many of us had leaks persist no matter what. I can show you pictures if it is helpful, because mine is always on the manifold, but never "from" the manifold. It is always a spray of drops in that area and more on the left side than the right side. What the 3rd party found (and we already knew) is that the engine is a stressed member of the frame, and my leak only happens when I really get on it, like ride for a few continuous miles with revs going over 4,000 rpms and using a lot of engine braking along with hard acceleration. But I could ride all day gentle and never leak, and what they found with careful looking is that my leak appears to be coming from the engine itself, like almost headgasket kind of issue, and when the engine really gets tweaked from acceleration and compression braking that a little coolant can escape. I've never had more than just enough to be an eyesore and need to be washed off, I've never had to add coolant...have had to just live with it. Would be real curious if your experience is anything like that. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts