Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

As the title says, I just picked up my baby on saturday. It has just under 6000km, and otherwise seems to be in excellent shape.

I went for a decent ride saturday, but didn't have time to ride sunday. By sunday evening, I noticed a small pool of coolant under the front left corner of the engine. When the bike is leaning on the kickstand, the rad is the lowest part, so it's quite possible the leak is coming from anywhere near the front of the engine, and then running down until it finally drips off the rad - but then again, maybe I'm entirely off base. I reached up and felt around everywhere I could, but couldn't detect any wet spots.

Please see attached image for a pic of my new pride and joy, as well as the location of the coolant leak.

Any ideas on which places to check first? If I can't locate/fix it myself, should I see a dealer ASAP? It seems like a small enough leak so far (only owned the bike for 36 hours though), but you know, coolant is kinda super important. I just don't wanna pay $100/hr for them to fix some things that aren't broken and still not find the leak.

Finally, I apologize if this isn't worthy of its own thread - I was tempted to post in the "triple coolant leak thread" but the last post was from 2009 haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Check all of the hoseclamps, make sure they are tight. The radiator shrouds are easy to take off, that should give you a better view of the radiator and hoses. If you don't find anything, I would top off the coolant reservoir and let the bike warm up and look again. It also may be a good time to do a coolant flush if it has never been done before. Did you pick up this bike from a dealer or private sale? I have the same bike, 2012 phantom black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses so far. I bought privately - he had the first service done at the dealer, and then changed the oil and filter at the end of each season. Most likely a coolant flush has not been done. While I agree it may be in order after 2-3 years, I'd prefer to fix the leak first just in case I do anything foolish trying to fix it and end up dumping a lot of it.

I imagine I'll be able to get the gist of what's going on once the rad shrouds come off and I take a good look (I should hope so; I am a mechanical engineer :) ). Nevertheless, are there diagrams readily available for my reference? I've read of people referring to certain components so I assume there must be an exploded diagram or something, but I haven't come across it yet.

edit: another thing I noticed was a coolant mark (looked like a strip of white bird doodie) on the back of the front fender. I thought nothing of it at the time since the bike was on the dirty side - mostly just dead flies - and I didn't know that's what dried coolant looked like.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Most likely it's the clamps, same thing happened to me. Tip: if you want to remove the blinkers to take off the radiator shroud, unscrew the lens (small Philips head) and then you can unplug the wires for the light and remove the blinker assembly, otherwise you have to take off the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds alot like what happened to me not too long after I got my STR...Noticed low coolant and spots on my radiator, thought it was a hose too and brought it to the dealer under warranty, they checked and tightened everything yada yada... ultimately I realized it was actually coming from the radiator cap, got a new cap... still leaking...

showed it to the dealer and they said I needed a new radiator because the surface was warped and not sealing....

now I have NO IDEA if I actually needed a new radiator or if they really put a new one on... but they took care of it under warranty and I walked away with no leak so... yea... maybe worth investigating if it doesn't go away with hose tightening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds alot like what happened to me not too long after I got my STR...Noticed low coolant and spots on my radiator, thought it was a hose too and brought it to the dealer under warranty, they checked and tightened everything yada yada... ultimately I realized it was actually coming from the radiator cap, got a new cap... still leaking...

showed it to the dealer and they said I needed a new radiator because the surface was warped and not sealing....

now I have NO IDEA if I actually needed a new radiator or if they really put a new one on... but they took care of it under warranty and I walked away with no leak so... yea... maybe worth investigating if it doesn't go away with hose tightening.
Well this is certainly terrifying. If this costs any more than $100 to fix, I'm gonna be pretty upset.

I'll have a look at the hoses this weekend.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Tightened all the clamps on my 2010, and still get a few drips under the bike once in a while. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to when it decides to drip. I don't think I've added more than a cup of coolant total in over two years of ownership. Not a big deal, so I'll just think of it as part of the bike's character.:rolleyes:

Edit: I do track days and don't think it has ever had a drip directly afterwards. Go figure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
While my 2012 was still fairly new, I developed a slow drip of coolant. I traced it back to
the air bleed gizmo located behind the left side turn signal. It appears to be brass with a screw and o-ring located on the side of the brass tee. The screw seemed rather loose and I tightened it up slightly, not wanting to squeeze the o-ring out from under the screw. It still leaked. I gave it another half round or so and it still did not seem to want to tighten up solid. That however did stop the leak. I have since found out that Triumph no longer installs this device on later model bikes.
I decided then that I would eventually remove the potentially problematic item while installing some cool new colored coolant lines. That was a couple of years ago and I still have the device and the original coolant lines and no new leaks.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Same thing happened to my '13, as others have mentioned, the fix was tightening a hose clamp. Unfortunately at the time it happened, it was p*ssing coolant and didn't want to risk riding it home. I could tell it was a hose clamp, but on mine it was up toward the seat and behind the sub-frame, I didn't have the tools to fix it on the side of the road, so had it towed, but that was the only part that cost me money. Dealership did the rest at NC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts