Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 06 speed triple from a private party and never got the owners manual. Can someone inform me on which types of coolant they use, do you have use a mix, anyone use water wetter? Let me know asap, i just realized the reserve is empty!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
50/50 solution of distilled water and ethylene glycol (usually the cheapest blue stuff). No silicates / aluminium block safe.

Also worth noting that topping up the expansion tank is pointless as anything over few spoonfulls will be puked out next time bike is up to temp. If you can see fluid in the tank, there is enough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, THAT sort of private party! Did nobody tell you you are just meant to take a set of keys and screw their wives.....not steal their bikes
haha, i wondered why everyone else stayed at the party, i was just pumped i ended up with the speedy keys!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I might be stating the obvious but make sure you give the system a good flush out with water before refiling. Mine was a dirty brown colour full of cr#p when I changed it the other day.

Acording to hand book the system takes 2L total.

·
Registered
19 Posts
50/50 solution of distilled water and ethylene glycol (usually the cheapest blue stuff). No silicates / aluminium block safe.

Also worth noting that topping up the expansion tank is pointless as anything over few spoonfulls will be puked out next time bike is up to temp. If you can see fluid in the tank, there is enough.
Mine does that, have you any idea why?

I know the levels are ok and bled through but I would have thought there was enough room in the expansion tank without it overflowing.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Mine does that, have you any idea why?
Yep. Every 1050 does.

I know the levels are ok and bled through but I would have thought there was enough room in the expansion tank without it overflowing.
Must be the combination of boiling hot coolant, undersized radiator, stopped bike (no fan after powering down) and the stupid positioning of the expansion tank overflow (when bike is on sidestand the overflow is quite low on the tank).

Anyways, just don't fill the expansion tank above the bare minimum and all is well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So the fan on a 1050 doesn't run after you shut off the bike? My '03 will continue to run with the bike off and key removed until the engine reaches a cool enough temp.

I use Engine Ice and it works just fine. The manual specifies ethylene glycol, Engine Ice is propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is safe for aluminum blocks, and most tracks will require that you have propylene glycol, I think because it's not as slick if it leaks, and not to mention it's not nearly as toxic as ethylene glycol. Engine Ice comes premixed so you don't have to dilute it with distilled water.

I've read a number of posts complaining about brown muck coming out during their first coolant change. I highly recommend changing the coolant well before the specified 2-year interval using the following procedure:
- drain your coolant per the manual.
- fill with distilled water. Remove air bubbles in the line. Run the bike up to temp. Let it cool. Drain.
- Fill with 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar. Remove air bubbles in the line. Run the bike up to temp. Drain. The slightly acidic vinegar helps remove corrosion and scale.
- fill with distilled water. Remove air bubbles in the line. Run the bike up to temp. Let it cool. Drain.

This should thoroughly clean out all the muck. Then fill with Engine Ice, top off the expansion tank, run the bike up to temp, let it cool, inspect the level in both the radiator and the expansion tank and top off.

Disclaimer :) this is all wrt my '03, but I'm sure it's very similar for the 1050's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts