Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sprint ST. I added coolant and then shortly afterwards noticed my reservoir was leaking. It did this for about a week before I discovered the plastic elbow was cracked. I replaced the elbow and made sure the coolant overflow reservoir was at the top fill line. Their hasn't been anymore fluid leaking, but today after a slow drive the temperature went higher than normal. The fan kicked in but it did not cool the engine down. Thankfully I arrived to my house and turned the bike off, but not before noticing the needle was well above normal, but not at the redline. I checked the coolant overflow tank and the level hasn't changed and is still at the full mark. Is it possible that the engine is not taking coolant from the overflow tank? I haven't checked the radiator level as I don't want to risk getting air in the system. Prior to adding coolant to the radiator, the temp needle never went above 1/2 before the fan kicked in and cooled the engine down, now I haven't seen the fan cool the engine down when it kicks in. The temperature here today has been 60 Fahrenheit so it was not hot. Prior to the fan kicking in, the engine light came on - I dont have confidence in the light as it will do this when i let the bike sit for a couple of weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I'd pop off the radiator cap and make sure there's coolant in the radiator. If there's too much air, it won't pull it out of the reservoir.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Check the level in the radiator and find out what's making the MIL come on. You can use a generic OBD-II reader if you don't want to spring for the $20 cable.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kit, Caddydaddy,

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be purchasing some Prestone and checking the coolant levels this evening.

I'll be borrowing an ODB reader from a friend. I'll be googling the codes to see what they mean and I'll also post the codes once I get them. I hear the explanations can be cryptic.

JM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I borrowed an odd sensor and hooked it upto my triumph. I received a p0462 error. Fuel level sensor a circuit low. I went ahead and reset the codes. I then checked the radiator and added coolant. Once I closed the radiator, I started my bike up and monitored the temp and fan. Once the needle went up to the 1/2 way point, the fan kicked on. I monitored the engine light, and it did not come back on. After a few minutes the fan turned off. I continued to let the motor run until the radiator fan kicked on again. After a dew minutes the fan turned off. The temps stayed steady and didn't climb above the normal level. The MIL light also never came back. Thx for the help. I do have a couple of questions. Does the overflow coolant tank have a hose inside to the return hose? If not, how does the coolant flow from the tank to the radiator? Second question, what triggers the P0462 error code? I checked in the forums and didn't come across a sure explanation or fix. Thanks again for all the help. I'm thinking of getting an obd sensor as it is much easier to clear the engine codes that way instead of going through the long process of resetting the light. Is there any inexpensive recommendations you recommend? JM

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Glad it was just low on coolant. The same hose that overflows the coolant to the reservoir, also returns it to the radiator. But, as I mentioned earlier, if there's too much air in the radiator, the system can't pull it out of the reservoir.

I'd look into TuneECU for checking codes, mapping, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I think P0462 is the "you turned the bike on with the fuel sender disconnected" error.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts