Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the consensus regarding coolant / coolant hoses, Re shelf life.
Although my RS has only 6k on her ( don't get to ride nearly as much as I used to!!!) she is coming upto 5/12 years from Date of manufacture.

Coolant is still original, as are the hoses, but one or two are looking a bit worse for wear, and I did have brittleness issues with the expansion tank, though to be fair the rubber hose was still serviceable.
I looked at the Samco range, but they don't list like for like replacements for the RS Sprint.
Are the Triumph hoses expensive to replace....any other alternatives??
Ta very much......

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Give them a squeeze..... if they show little fractures then replace. Check closely to where the hoses clamp to the rad and see if they are bulging, mushrooming or have a white residue around them.

You can usually get good life out of hoses but a little check now and again doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Check how soft they are when warm. If they're really soft it may be time to change them. FWIW mine have been changed out twice in 40,000K and 5 years.

I am not sure about non OEM alternatives but I would think that there would be.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calliway:
Yes, they DO have the little "crazy paving" cracks, right where the clamps are...........

Any reason why I should look for alternatives to the Triumph hoses, or will they be 'good enough'......I've had no pressure/leakage issues with the radiator cap, but is it a wise move to replace it too..
Ta v much...........

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Time to replace them then.....

I would stick with the Triumph hoses. You would probably be hard pressed to find aftermarket hoses for these bikes and hoses that arent properly bent will restrict flow.

I would make replacing them a priority. Remember that they are rubber and rubber is a natural product. They often inject silica and other vulcanizing chemicals to make them last longer but in the end rubber rots.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok.....
I think I agree, time to replace with genuine Triumph hoses....

Now.....any advice on coolant..I know with regards to silica content, this is a vital issue in an alloy/plastic cooling system Bike engine, anybody got any good coolant type/brand recommendations???
Thanks.......

EDIT: used the Search, found this recommended by non other than OnD.......so I will give it a try........
Prestone Extended Life 5/150
Also Prestone Xtreme Sport Motorcycle Coolant seems to be formulated silica free......

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Frider, in the US most universal antifreezes are just fine. Just read the back and make sure it says its safe for Aluminum. Since most engines use either aluminum heads or blocks you should have any issue. The good Universal Prestone is probably just fine.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noted,
But.....the silica / phospahte free type is MOST important right, or it's bye bye water pump seals in quicktime..????

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Check how soft they are when warm. If they're really soft it may be time to change them. FWIW mine have been changed out twice in 40,000K and 5 years.

I am not sure about non OEM alternatives but I would think that there would be.

Mr Chef!
:YellowWow:
Wot the bloody hell have you been using for coolant man?:suspicious:

I am up to 60,000kms almost and frequent the redline very often, still OEM hoses all good.:HappyRoll:

DaveM:Wave:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Hoses

Most mfgrs are reluctant to specify how long their hoses will last because they are afraid someone will hold them to it. In the auto/truck world 4 to 5 years and 60K miles are the general consensus.

I would expect that hoses would last longer on a bike since the operating environment is not as severe as under the hood of a car/truck.

Exterior, or surface inspections, are inadequate because the majority of the hose failure is taking place on the interior surface. There is a process called Electrochemical Degradation (ECD) taking place inside of the hoses from the first time coolant is installed and the battery connected. Since the bike electrical system is a 'one wire' design, the frame is an electrical path. Because water is conductive, electricity is always passing through the coolant, which in turn, causes non-visual degradation of the hose inner surface material. It is a slow, insidious process of degradation, difficult to detect from an exterior inspection.

Someone inspecting hoses acquires a feel for interior conditions and can usually make a reasonable determination by squeezing it at the ends. It is a learned feel. I doubt the casual DIYer would be able to do a proper squeeze inspection unless the degradation was severe.

Four to five years is what I give my hoses. Yearly on the coolant. Others will disagree, but that is what constitutes a discussion.

As for non-OEM hoses, I don't think it is worth the trouble pursuing. You would encounter much frustration as you try to locate a supplier with the correct sizes and adapters. If you are successful doing that, you would then have to contend with the various bends with something like an E-Z coil. In the end you probably would have been money ahead with the OEM molded hoses. Trust me on this, I learned the hard way.

A set of silicone hoses, in addition to looking nice, would make the above moot. :D

And, while on the subject of coolant sytem component service life, do not forget the radiator cap.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I agree with OnD. I give hoses 5 years max. Cap 2 years. Coolant 1 year. After that it starts to degrade.
Anyone know where I can get a set of blue silicone hoses?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I saw a listing for the blue silicone hoses in a Tucker Rocky catalog but the application listing was very limited.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
OnD,
I dont disaggree with anything yo have said in your previous post and you know that I respect your opinions.

I will say however that although the integrity of the hose may degrade on the inside as well it is more likely that you will see external signs of the hose deteriating long before you see internal signs and maybe that is what you are trying to say. Maybe this is more in the Auto world where you know my experience is based. :)

If your hose goes bad from the inside the only time you will know is when you start to see bulges on the rubber or when it just plain springs a leak. That may happen before you see any little crack on the outside but not likely. I one would be pretty safe to inspect the hoses for little cracks and that slightly mushy feeling that the rubber will get when it starts to degrade. 4-5 years is definatley plenty of life. Most rubber fails do to enviromental demage and not usage ie UV, extreme heat, oil contamination etc...

As far as antifreeze is concerned, unless its Long Life specific (dont put that in any vehicle that doesnt specify the need for it) 1-3 years is about the average life. I wouldnt go more than 3 that is for sure and at time if you notice the color is not as vibrant or is dirty, its time to flush. Since I ride under 7000kms a year on my bike it was 3 years to a flush and cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts