Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry boring question, but I was just wondering. I've done 8000 miles and wondered how ofter the coolent should be changed?

Many thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Speedy Russ. More cash for Newcastle Brown!
I seem to require a slightly more frequent fluid change.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I changed mine this past summer since the dealer apparently didn't during my 12,000 mile service in the spring. I noticed a buildup of brown crud in my coolant reservoir one day and changed my coolant immediately. I plan on changing it each spring myself from now on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can't find the post now but I read a long ass technical post on some Tiger forum on how the crap that Triumph puts in the 1050's turns to jello.

Fixin to put Engine Ice in mine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My 08 only has 6600 miles, but I got a coolant leak when the temps dropped at the hose on the top right of the rad. The clamp wasnt tight enough. I leaked enough coolant that day to see my res level way down, and sure enough....at the bottom is a ton of brown sludge. Now, this bike is still new in my eyes....only a couple months of use.

****ing Lame

Im going to do a flush with distilled twice and fill with water wetter and water and just not ride it until the lows are above freezing again. garage is somewhat heated.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The way I've heard to clean out the crap is to fill it with distilled water and vinegar run it till it heats up to operating temp then flush it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Im going to do a flush with distilled twice and fill with water wetter and water and just not ride it until the lows are above freezing again. garage is somewhat heated.
Oh yeah....cause of the coolant!!! I smell a sorry excuse! Common...man-up. Riding in the cold is the difference between :
Men and boys
Motorcyclists and S.Q.U.I.D.S.
Passion and fashion <---also applies to most Harley riders

Of course that being said... living in GA we only have a few weeks of freezing weather a year!:p

·
Registered
848 Posts
The way I've heard to clean out the crap is to fill it with distilled water and vinegar run it till it heats up to operating temp then flush it.
I put distilled water in the engine and then ran the engine a few minutes. The I just flushed it with distilled water until the water was clear, drained out all the water, and then put Engine Ice in. :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I plan on doing track days in the spring, so I'm going with water wetter (they dont allow engine ice or antifreeze).

Water wetter and water doesnt have the anti-freezing properties from glycol-based coolant (engine ice or antifreeze). I've heard enough stories of cracked heads to learn from the mistakes of others.

Don't make assumptions MotoZiggy. I ride in the cold...more than 1000 miles in November alone. And I live north of Chicago. Right now, however, the roads are full of plows and dump trucks throwing salt.
I like my bike. Salt will destroy the bare metal. Maybe if I had a KLR.....someday.

·
Registered
191 Posts
now, now....no wadded panties! I didn't mean anything by it. Just a little fun. Didn't realize that you were going with "WW" instead of antifreeze. And im sure you ride in MUCH, colder weather than I do and on a more regular basis....hell it rarley drops below 30F here in atlanta. Its not my fault we have an 11 month "riding season":p

Nothing but love brother!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey guys! Quick question:

What does everyone do with their old coolant when they flush their systems?

And don't say drain it into the street or sewer...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Feed it to that mut that barks all night long next door!!!:D

Really though, most auto-parts stores will take it as long as you dont have oil mixed with it. I have in a pinch poured it into a bucket of cat litter. Absorbs it so it can be thrown away in the trash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts