Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Speed Four.... I do my own yearly pre-season tune ups... one thing I have never done is a coolant change. I have never had any issues with the enginie temp or anything associated with that... I have about 7500 miles on the clock... should I change it out or am I good?? I have been working on bikes but my speed four is the first modern bike I have ever owned.. I have always worked on classics... any opinions or input would be great.... have a good one!!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well it's an easy job, so it's worth doing.

If the bike's 6 years old and it hasn't already had a coolant change, it probably is due. That said I've never had an issue from old coolant if it's clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ditto what The Master said - it's a really easy job (should be done every 2 years).

You just need to remember to open the bleed screw to get the air locks out (and then close it again when the coolant starts draining out - obviously!!).

(Bleed screw located LHS engine, down near the water pump housing - brass coloured)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now a stupid question.... do I drain the coolant from the water pump screw or is there somewhere else???

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Now a stupid question.... do I drain the coolant from the water pump screw or is there somewhere else???
To drain the coolant, remove the radiator cap, open the drain screw located by the cylinder head inlet, and then remove the bottom hose from the water pump inlet.

Aside from bleeding the water pump and engine block using the two bleeder screws and making sure all your connections are tight, make sure to slowly fill the radiator with fluid, occasionally tilting the bike side to side. Also, pump the upper and lower hose with your hand to burp the system. The most common issue of engine overheating after a coolant change is due to air pockets that weren't properly removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts