Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again I just wanted to check I did a coolant change the weekend and when I rode the bike the fan came on after a couple of miles and stayed on so I presume I had a air block so I got home cooled the bike took the rad cap off and started the bike wobbled it about a bit and saw the coolant coming back through the return pipe does this mean no air block also I have read that people have not been able to refill the rad with the specified amount of coolant I think I managed about 1.7 litres does this sound about right
cheers fellers
simon

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There is a small bolt at the top of the radiator on the right side of the bike, that should be removed when filling the radiator to allow air to escape as you fill and filling slowly also helps to avoid air blocks.You haven't said what year your bike is and I'm not sure whether this information I've given applies to the latest models, but it does apply up to 2010.

As for my bike the capacity of the cooling system is 2.4 litres, and I have never been able to fit more than 2 litres in it.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi legman my bike is 05 model yes i undone the little bolt when i re checked the coolant and there was some coming out of it when i started the bike coolant capacity in mine is 2.8 litres
thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The other thing to remember is that you cannot fill the fluid reservoir above the minimum level or it will just piss it out of the overflow.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad you got it resolved. I've heard of the 05-07 models getting airblocks often, So when refilling I pour the new fluid in really slowly (so slowly it will take 5 minutes to pour in one litre) to allow the air to escape easily. I don't know if it needs to be that slow, but I have never had an air block. I have heard of people who have had difficulty getting rid of it. YMMV

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
probably not, but the instances I'm aware of were all early 1050's. I still take care to fill very slowly on my 15th Anniversary SE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts